• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Safe?

Salazar

Hey all... erm I feel kinda embarassed about this, because I'm brand new here, and I don't have a clue if I'm doing it right or even if it's a stupid question or not... so my apologies in advance is it's wrong ok?

Well my two-week-old corn-snake, Sal, whom my dad and I bought on Friday, is really small... she's less than a foot long, and really narrow. Today, we've given her her first feed since she's been with us. It's a pinky, but it's way bigger than her head. I know Snakes can swallow large things whole and all, but I'm gettin' kinda paranoid here! I know she can't choke, because her wind pipe is always in he rmouth, but is she okay? She won't like explode when she's swallowing it? My imagination is very weird...

-Ssssssal.

The general rule is food items about 1.5x the size of the widest part of your snake..

Snakes are stretchy and can stretch their skin a long way to get around a large piece of food. The also dislocate their jaws at the sides and in the middle to make a big enough opening for the mouse to get down.

The rule is that the food item should be no more than 1½ times the width of the snake at the widest part.

This is my yearling sunglow motley as a baby (about 1 month old) with a 3 days old pink. It looks huge compared to her but it's a good sized meal.

Snakesoct031.jpg

Hope this helped

Well if your very unsure about the mouse not fitting. Even though its probley fine. You can always cut it, into 2 pieces. Make sure its not a live mouse though. I do this for my newborn corns because I dont have mice pinkies on hand only rats. They generally eat both halves of the rat. Making the meal a nice size for them.

mouse size

here is a pix with my guy to show you just what they can fit in there.

Attachments

• snack2.jpg
    snack2.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 29
Brilliant... thanks guys.... really helpful, but she still hasn't eaten it yet *crosses fingers*. thanks!

PS: cool pic... I feel way better now.

-Ssssssal.

Bug22baby said:
Well if your very unsure about the mouse not fitting. Even though its probley fine. You can always cut it, into 2 pieces. Make sure its not a live mouse though. I do this for my newborn corns because I dont have mice pinkies on hand only rats. They generally eat both halves of the rat. Making the meal a nice size for them.
A rat pink is an awfully big meal for a newborn corn. :)

Back