• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Same old substrate question

Jase&Sarah

Mother and Father of Eva
I have a snow corn hatchling. A few members here advised to start a hatchling with repti-carpet. Any other suggestions? Should I just use Aspen from here on out?

Setup includes
20 Gal
UTH on glass temp 85, on top of repti-carpet 80
Florescent only used for visitors to show Eva

I don't like repti-carpet. I keep hatchlings on paper towel until they're at least 50g. By then I know that they're eating and crapping normally, and I switch them to aspen shavings. I also start feeding them outside of their enclosures once they've made the switch.

20gal is big for a hatchling. Don't forget to supply plenty of hides between the warm and cold sides, and make sure the lid is absolutely escape-proof. :)

Thank you

Lid is defintely escape proof. Would have used a smaller tank but my 10 gallon is presently taken up by a crested gecko.

I have plenty plenty of hides.

Thanks for the advice

Snakes love aspen! The repticarpet is a pain. For you, not the snake. Nothing more frustrating than having to rip out all the hides, etc. to find a snake that lives under repticarpet.

Nanci

Not to mention the reptile carpet is a pain in the butt to clean. So if you do go that route you will need more than one peice so that you can switch them out to clean.
I just don't see the point in trying to do that, besides it also takes away the convience of being able to spot clean which you can do with the aspen.

That's what I thought

I have used my repti carpet for my other herps so I was prepared for it, but after studying snake behavior patterns and reading the forums here it makes extreme sense to use aspen. The kind I presently have for another herp of mine is Aspen nake bedding that was purchased from Petco.

Welp looks like I will be changing this out soon.

How much is a good depth for corns. I usually use about 1.5 - 2inches for other repitles

Suggestions?

85 degrees on glass bottom still come through pretty well to substrate?

Well keep in mind that since the snakes do like to burrow, the temp on the glass being the right temp is good. What you want to avoid is the top of the aspen being 85, because that means the glass would be hotter.
The on the glass temp is just fine and if the snake needs it warm they can always burrow down.
I have my aspen at about 1.5 inches.

Great

Thank you kindly :)

Switching it out as we speak. Yeah on glass temp is 85 so we shall be great.

Thank you again so much :crazy02:

They seem to spend most of their time in the cooler regions, anyway.

I'd go at least two inches. The more you put in initially, the less often you have to replace it. I pretty much just spot clean unless there's some sort of major disaster in there...

Nanci

Completed

Got the aspen in and she is having a ball digging. I am so so happy for her that her dumb bunny owner (me) didn't cook her by not having a controlled UTH. Now that it is and she has the aspen I think happy days are ahead for her.

Thank you all

Back