• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sand boa or king snake

newbie319

I was wondering if someone on here could give me some information on sand boas. I finally talked my boyfriend into another snake and am torn between a sand boa or a king snake.
One thing I'm curious of is how big around does a sand boa get? Ball python size,corn snake size, or what!! Also how are the temperaments of these two snakes as for keeping them as pets? Any helpful information would be great, even your own opinion. I currently have a corn snake and an eastern ribbon snake, and am very new to snake keeping but I do my research. Also, any reputable breeders anybody could recommend would be great. I got my normal corn from Reptmart and had a wonderful experience with them, but would like to buy from someone on a more personal level. Who knows maybe I'll just stick with what I know and get another corn:)

Sand Boa's don't get very big as all. I've heard males can live in a 6Q tub all their lives (i'd give them more but that's me) females get to be bigger but not to much. They're a nice little snake species. From what I've seen of Sand Boa's, since they burrow, if you go over their feeding hole or over them they might come at you but all in all they're a nice docile snake. Cannot wait to get one in October, they get close to the small adult corn size but no where near ball pythons. They're normally 2'-3' with some getting slightly bigger.

I'd personally get a sand boa because I love them so much.

I'm going to recommend another corn, but I am biased! I've worked with getula kings and enjoy them, though some are more "bitey" than your average corn. Sand boas are a bit reclusive for some people's tastes.

Thank you both for your replies. I'm leaning towards another corn, now if only to decide on what morph! Choices,choices, hmmm. I know it's going to be my snake, but I would also love opinions on this. I don't care too much for the diffused or diluted ones, I love the stand out colors. I was thinking okeetee or reverse okeetee but just can't decide. And since I don't know how many snakes my boyfriend will agree on, or the next time I get him to agree to another, got to make this one count. In a matter of speaking..sooo guys...give me all your opinions!!Also I have $100 spending limit, so that limits me some but that's for the snake not altogether with shipping. Sorry I'm blabbing on and on, but so excited to get another snake :roflmao:

Corn's are awesome, I have quite a number I can't wait to see what you get. If you like colors maybe you could look for a sunkissed they'd stand out ^^

Here's my first baby!! She was in blue as you can see, her first shed with me!!
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• corn snake 2.jpg
    corn snake 2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 55
By the way, Newbie319, ten years from now, when you have over a hundred corns in your collection and have bred everything under the sun, you're gonna want to change that user name!

yea i agree! Maybe by christmas i wont be a newbie anymore and my snake count will go from 2 to 10!!! Keeping my fingers crossed :)

Newbie, may I suggest a butter stripe? That is one I'm thinking of next. Maybe a Lavamel for bright orange, or a Fire, or an Extreme Reverse Okeetee, or an Extreme Okeetee?

If you can't find the snake locally or at a show, you can count on shipping being $40 to $50. Tell the seller you limit includes shipping when you ask about their corns.

Now, if you are still thinking of kings, how about the Pastel Kings from Strange Cargo? Graham will be back around the 12th and he has some beauties.

I'm sorry the $100 limit I have is for the snake..shipping costs I know would be extra. I got that put aside! My boyfriends paying for the snake and I'm paying for the shipping. Thank you for your input. This isn't going to be a spur of the moment like the last one was, even though I had everything for her and am very happy I got her. I'm taking my time and really shopping around. I will look Graham up around that time. Thank you for the input, very much appreciated :) I'm not sure what species of snake I'm looking for. Even though I really want a ball python the bf says no snake that's big enough to eat a small dog!!

I thought about them. I'm still sooo unsure of what my next snake will be. If only I could have them all, just don't have the room, money, or resources to do that just yet!!!

Here's some of the most common starter snakes

Corn snake
King Snake non Grayband (hardy eaters)
Hognose Snake (lot's of personality)
Milk Snake (may musk/can be hard to handle)
Garter Snake (may musk, do better on fish diet)
Grayband King (can be tough to get started on mice)
Rosy Boa (can be aggressive if not handled regularly)
Sand Boa (can be nippy/hide a lot)

Thanks everyone for your input. I will take all your advice and think about it. I'm still doing my research and debating whether to get another corn, or try a different species.

Back