• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Scale loss (doesn't look like shedding)

eDenny

I am a beginner, this is my first corn (and snake) and Lecter's scales on the under belly are starting to peel off a bit, he hasn't gone blue... and he won't eat (for the past 3 weeks) I'm starting to worry. The terrarium temp is from 80-90 f and the humidity is usually 35-40%... he went through a lot of stress from the cage at the pet shop into the box and i basically got the lady fired because of the crap she pulled (if you read my first post) But none the less he just hid all the time but ate 7 days after i got him... now it's 3 weeks later from his first meal with me and he won't eat... i was feeding live and he seemed to like it.. after the second week of not eating. I killed the mouse, dipped its head in warm water and he wouldn't go near it... just hid all the time.

I feel responsible and hate the fact that this could be my fault...

here are some pictures of his scales
DSC00737.JPG

DSC00784.JPG
the scales are lightly peeling off... he doesn't seem phased by it ...
DSC00738.JPG
Reddish discoloration and peeling scales
DSC00739.JPG
One large almost missing scale like...

Please if anyone has information for me I would be very thankful.

thank you.

I'm not an expert, but it could be some kind of scale rot. I would take your guy to a reptile vet ASAP. It could be why he isn't eating.

I would also recommend lowering your temperature on the warm side to around 85 degrees. 90 degrees and above can lead to some serious issues, though I don't think it causes the scale rot. Usually too moist or unlcean of an environment causes the issue.

When I got my first corn snakes I kept them in playground sand from walmart and one of them got some spots that looked like that. I was told that it was from the chemicals used to clean the sand. I changed the sand and it cleared up but left scars. If this helps any.

You mentioned that he "was" fed live. I'm wondering if those are old live feeding injuries that are still healing. Something you may be noticing now. When a snake constricts a mouse, if the head isn't firmly grasped in the mouth of the snake and part of the body comes near the mouses head, it will bite.

Just a thought?

Wayne

Back