• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Scale Rot?

scubadiver

My dads blizzard has started showing some really weird spots. I have never seen scale rot so I have no clue. Here is a picture. If it is scale rot or something else how do I treat it and does any one know of a good reptile vet in Phoenix, AZ? Also there are a few other tiny specks coming up in other spots that's when I realized it may be some disease or something. Can this spread?

Attachments

• frosty.jpg
    frosty.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 72
Is there any of that on the belly? Usually scale rot looks a little different than that. Do you see any chipped scales on the belly? Try washing your snake in some warm water, and put a little diluted hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball and wash the area. Also, make sure that the cage is clean and not overly humid. Unremoved "poo" or a tipped water dish can cause some scale rot.

There are a few spots on the belly but no chipped scales. I've tried washing in warm water but it didn't do anything.I'll try the peroxide, no spilt water its relatively dry but I remoisten it every once in a while, I do this to try and prevent scale rot i clean the cage when I see it dirty and completely redo the arrangment of the tank about once a month remoistening the bed a beast. any other thoughts if the peroxide doesn't work. My dad was thinking iodine might help? Like for turtles.
Thanks

Yeah betadine is good.

You probably shouldn't moisten the bedding if you think she has scale rot, because damp conditions can allow fungus/bacteria to grow. Right now just try to keep it pretty dry and don't let the temperature in the cage fall down, dryer conditions should help prevent fungus growing.

But yeah, the main thing is to keep the cage very clean and free of bacteria. You should probably clean and disinfect the cage to kill any bacteria that may be living in there. If you don't have any spare bedding with you right now you can use a few layers of paper towels.

If it doesnt get worse than how it is, I think that it will go away after the snake sheds.

On the other hand, if it does get alot worse, then you should probably see a vet about it.

There are a few spots on the belly but no chipped scales. I've tried washing in warm water but it didn't do anything.I'll try the peroxide, no spilt water its relatively dry but I remoisten it every once in a while, I do this to try and prevent scale rot i clean the cage when I see it dirty and completely redo the arrangment of the tank about once a month remoistening the bed a beast. any other thoughts if the peroxide doesn't work. My dad was thinking iodine might help? Like for turtles.
Thanks

Did you say you were using "Bed-a-Beast," as in the mossy sort of stuff that holds moisture, like you would use with a frog? If this is indeed the case, it sounds like you may actually have scale rot. I used something similiar for my anery's lay box. She decided to bury herself in it for a few days and ended up with the same thing. It came off with dryer conditions, and the next shed. I would try using something that stays dryer, like aspen, or even newspaper or paper towels until you can get some. Corn snakes don't need much humidity unless they're having problem sheds. Keep us updated; and good luck!!

Thanks for all the info I'll try the betadine and hopefully that clears it up and I'll get rid of the bed a beast that is in the tank and disenfect it. Also the bed a beast doesn't stay wet for more than maybe two days. Arizona being hot and dry. It usually is completely dry within a day to three at the latest. I have rocks and a hide that he is actually in most of the time. Thanks again and any other thoughts would still be appreciated.

No and by the way its a he. He never gets near anything hot enough to burn him to my knowing. I'm at school for nearly 7hrs monday through friday so I am not fully sure.

Does he react to it being touched? like it hurts him?? I guess the only advice I can give you is if he was mine... I would put him on newspaper or napkins and then put a little neoporin on it a couple times a day (always washing it between of course) and see if it helps or gets worse or spreads....

There is a good herp vet in the Phoenix area, if this doesn't clear up.

Todd Driggers, Foothills Mobile Exotics

He's great, also does birds if anyone cares. He was recommended to me by Connie Hurley, who is, herself, a vet. Also, Liam Sevier of Sevierserpents likes him. I loved him. Turns out we had some of the same (chimpanzee) friends, because he used to do consults out where I collected my masters data.

He does react when you touch it. He seems not to like it but it doesn't seem to really hurt. Thanks

Also thanks for the vet info that really will help since I hope I have three females gravid just incase something goes wrong though it never has before.
Thanks

Back