• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Scales coming off?

bryansnake

I was just playing with my snake, and I noticed that near the bottom 2/5ths area there looked almost like a piece of plastic wrap stuck to her. So I tried getting a better look while she's squirming, and it looked like it was something stuck to her. I tried pulling, and it sort of crinkles off like plastic, but it there was more too it, like I only saw the edge. I stopped once I saw there was more. It didn't look like scales, and it didn't appear to be pulling on her scales. and it was entirely see through. Was it scales? Should I try and take this off, see if it rubs off in the aspen, or wait however many weeks till her shed? Or even take her to see a vet? (I haven't done it yet as I've only owned her for like 2 weeks now and she seems healthy enough)

Sounds like shed...hmmm. How about trying some water...letting her squirm through a wet washcloth and see if it comes off.

I thought about that, but I never noticed any dulling of the scales, and I never saw her eyes turn milky. Though I fed her thursday, and tonight was the first time I've even seen her for more then 5 minutes since. She's been hiding out and digesting.

I'll give the wash cloth a try in the morning. It's late and I probably stressed her enough for now from looking and picking.

Good idea. Whatever it is, don't pick or pull at it. If it's part of an older shed stuck to underlying scales, you can pull healthy scales off and leave "bald" spots which risk getting infected.

Back