• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

scared

snowboardmoose

My snake seems scared of me I got him at 10:00AM this morning and he still seems scared of me he backs away from me and won't let me hold him what should I do?:shrugs:

dont try to hold him, let him settle in for a few days

Yes and I wouldn't let any brothers or sisters hold him until he calms down, because he may asscoiate him/her being the owner, and become attached with him/her if they hold him more than you. My snake was hissing and biting at me and being extremeily aggressive, I don't know if I should of done this, because the stress of this could of killed her, I fourced her to let me handle and hold, and if she didn't feel like being hold, I'd grasp her very lightily, she became my pal the next day. Your snake, unlike mine did, seems somewhat calm, much calmer than mine.

ya mine just backs away and thats it except I was poking at him to get out of this crack at the top but he just seems like he need to get used to the viv and he was born july 07

It takes a minimum of 4-5 days for a new snake to settle in, even better if you don't handle except to feed for the first 2-3 feeding.

If you got him at 10:00AM this morning, you need to leave him alone. His entire world has changed, and suddenly he has some big ol' monster staring down at him and poking him, that's enough to scare anyone.

You need to give him a few days, with very little, if any disturbances, and don't try to feed him. After about three days you can feed him, I'd do that in a small container outside his tank, after he consumes the pinky, give him 20 minutes, then gently pick him up and put him back in. Then leave 48 hours before handling him. At that age, 5-10 minutes of handling a couple of times a week is all that they can manage. Make sure that your siblings/spouse/friends know the score too. As he grows then you can increase the handling time.

But for now, leave the little guy alone and don't keeping checking and watching him. I know it's hard, but if you leave him alone then that gives him chance to explore, drink and sleep undisturbed. Oh, and don't be surprised if you rarely see him, that's what happy Corns do most of the time (after their initial exploration period); sleep.

I hope that helps

David

I try not to do any unneccessary handling, except feeding, cleaning etc for about a month with new snakes. I find this allows them to settle in, in their own time, at their own pace and establish a good feeding routine, before the big scary hand wants to take them out and play...lol

Just try to give him a bit of time to adjust to his new surroundings and get a couple of good feeds inside him and I'm sure he will become less scared of you.

Best wishes and good luck with your new little one,

Back