• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

second shed

Otter_23

My female corn snakes shed and after that I introduced the male to each one for 2 days then separated him for a few days than reintroduced him again for 2 and half days each. There was semen spillage in the cages. The question I have is the first female I introduced him to was on Feb. 22 she is now blue and looking like she is going to shed. Is this a preegg laying shed? She doesn't appear to be bigger in the back section and her scales don't appear stretched to me. This is my first time breeding. He is also going into shed now. Should I introduce the male with her again after she sheds again?
Thanks for your time
Mark Westberg

I would. If you don't see any noticable swelling that tells you she's gravid, its probably her post ovulation shed. She very well could be gravid since you noticed semen spillage, and may not be showing it yet. If you'd like the added assurance just for comforts sake, putting them together won't hurt. If she is already gravid from the first introduction, she may double clutch. Its not necessarily a bad thing, but since there is that possibility I would up her feedings and give her some extra calcium supplements to help her out now while she'll still eat. I normally just put my adults together and leave them together until I notice the female is obviously gravid or I see very frequent copulation. Then again I don't brumate though so I don't have that to tip off their breeding clocks. Find what works best for your adults because everyone has their own successful methods.

Thank you for the advise. The female that is going to shed weighed 640 grams after she had shed the first time so I think she has put on some additional weight since then since she has eaten pretty regularly. I will put them back together after she sheds again. She hasn't laid a clutch yet, so is it possible that if I don't introduce the male again she could still double clutch?
Mark

Back