• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Secure cage?

kristentag

Ok, I have a big question. We have a 5 month old corn snake that escaped about a month ago. We found him a few days later. I always figured my son just didn't latch the cage up. However, I was looking in the cage tonight and found the snake is gone . . . again. This time I was the one to open it, so I saw that the lid was secure. He is in a 10 gallon tank with a lid. We have the slide on locks on both sides. There is one wire that comes up from the sensor for his heater, but I put that in the corner. Honestly, I have no clue how he gets out! I have faith that we are going to find him again. However, I REALLY don't want to go through this again (my son gets so upset). What is the best way to house your snake to avoid escapes??

Pic of the tank might help figure out what the little guy is doing. I have the zilla cages for two of my guys which have been pretty secure. The screen slides on and off. The other is in a 10 gallon tank with screened lid that is clipped down on all 4 sides. This has also does good.

Ok, I have a big question. We have a 5 month old corn snake that escaped about a month ago. We found him a few days later. I always figured my son just didn't latch the cage up. However, I was looking in the cage tonight and found the snake is gone . . . again. This time I was the one to open it, so I saw that the lid was secure. He is in a 10 gallon tank with a lid. We have the slide on locks on both sides. There is one wire that comes up from the sensor for his heater, but I put that in the corner. Honestly, I have no clue how he gets out! I have faith that we are going to find him again. However, I REALLY don't want to go through this again (my son gets so upset). What is the best way to house your snake to avoid escapes??

The tank with the locking lid are prety good for escape proof. but the wire is confusing to me. if the wire leads to the out side then where it go through the tank or lid try using hot glue to fill any holes. They can crawl through holes smaller than you think!!

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. The tank is in my son's room and he is asleep. It is a basic tank and has the screen lid they sell at the pet store. There are two locks, one on each end. Should I have four so one is in each corner? He is a fabulous snake and I really don't want anything to happen to him.

How small of a hole can it get through? The wire is for the probe and we usually loop it through at the corner because the lid has a small opening there it fits right through.

I have clips on all four sides in the center of each. there is also some weather stripping on the front and back so its a really secure fit on the 10 gallon.

I'll try to take a picture tomorrow. The tank is in my son's room and he is asleep. It is a basic tank and has the screen lid they sell at the pet store. There are two locks, one on each end. Should I have four so one is in each corner? He is a fabulous snake and I really don't want anything to happen to him.

A slide locking scrren lid or one that lifts off.
If it lifts off that you need atleast four clips to hold it down.

Its the one that lifts off. They salesperson said the two would be plenty, but I'm seeing it obviously isn't. So, will the additional locks solve the problem? I'll buy ten if that is what it takes! lol

I'll buy ten if that is what it takes! lol
This made me laugh!!!!

Buy a few more but don't open all of them.
Try two clips on each of the longer sides and one on the shorter sides.
Then when they are on, try lifing a corner or side of the lid. Add more if needed. return clips that are not needed.
For the mean time, you can use heavy books. You will find out tho that the clips are a PIMA after awhile and your son will miss a few. So when you move up to a larger size tank, find one thant has a sliding locking lid or there are plastic storage containers you could use (some folks here do) or get a custom one, online or homemade.

When I kept mine in tanks, I ended up duct taping down one side of the lid and piling on 12 packs of soda to keep it down. Also, there are tiny spaces in the corners of the lids that a baby will get out of in a jiffy, so I taped those too. I'd honestly just go pick up a sterilite tub that has the snap up handles, I have yet to lose a corn from those! :)

Back