• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Seeking your help

Kokopelli

Resident Boa Fanatic
Okay okay, I know I spoke about it before, but now I actually checked out some things.

Allow me to first say that I have two cameras, both of which, I don't really like.

1. Nikon Coolpix L1- feasible performance, feasible battery life, hopeless and helpless in low light conditions/any attempt to take a photo without flash.

2. Canon Powershot S5 IS- heavy as heck, gulps 4 AA batteries in like 5 minutes, absurd. The performance is slightly better, but again, absolutely horrible if you try to take a photo with no flash. The colors are -always- off.

I want it for stills only... in order to pretty much photo my snakes... and be able to do so without flash, and in good quality- be it indoors or outdoors.

Of course, if you can take good photos of scenery and such- great!.

I don't want it to be over-complicated... DSLR seems a tad too expansive and over-complicated for me... I need an amateurish camera, with a good battery life, that yields good results- and has whatever settings I need to take good shots of my animals.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Remember, I live in Israel so the prices are different... Nikon D40 and so on are above my budget.

Cameras I have considered:

Canon PowerShot SX120 IS

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ35 / FZ38

Panasonic DMC-ZS5 / TZ8

More suggestions would of course be very welcome.

Oren

Defenetly a canon PS.
Best Bridge cams i know and you have the ability upgrade
the firmware with the chdk software so you nearly have
high end cam functions!
At least even the olympus ones arent that bad!

Defenetly a canon PS.
Best Bridge cams i know and you have the ability upgrade
the firmware with the chdk software so you nearly have
high end cam functions!
At least even the olympus ones arent that bad!

Thing is, I already have a PS, and I do -not- like it one bit :/.

What would you recommend out of the canon PS nowdays?

You're going to call me mad... but I ended up getting Nikon's D3000+2 lenses+kit for a deal more than I first intended....
I tend to believe that it's a better long term investment... hopefully I am right.

This probably won't be all that helpful, but I think an DSLR with a basic lens will take much better pictures for you, and in the long run you will be a LOT happier than if you go for a point and shoot.
You can end up paying about the same for a point and shoot as you might if you go bargin hunting for a DSLR. Remember you can always put it on auto mode at first until you get more comfortable.

Really, the choice is yours, but I think if you go for a DSLR you won't want to upgrade nearly as quickly as you would with another point and shoot. Especially considering the amazing animals you have, come play with the big boys!! :dancer:

The size might be a little formidable, but they really are the best cameras in the world.
Okay, Okay, maybe a Digital Large Format camera is among the best cameras in the world... but let's not get into that. ;)

You're going to call me mad... but I ended up getting Nikon's D3000+2 lenses+kit for a deal more than I first intended....
I tend to believe that it's a better long term investment... hopefully I am right.

oops, didn't read this before I posted. That's AWESOME!!! You won't be disappointed! Hopefully that camera will LONG outlast the point and shoot you were thinking of getting. You will take MUCH better images and can grow to be a great photographer using that camera. I'm very happy for you!!

Now lets see some of those snakes!!

Back