• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Senseless ignorance

MastersHaven

*Hopelessly Addicted*
well... :cry: I am holding in my hand a dead baby snake...
my sister came carrying it in asking me if there was anything I could do for it...
a man that she works with had wacked it pretty hard with a shovel.

I, for the life of me, can not figure out why people feel they have to kill these beautiful creatures...
she said he was afraid of snakes.

Soooo... ummmm.... stay away from them?!?!? :shrugs:

He was so afraid that he managed to get the whole four feet away from this little baby to smash it's head in with that damn shovel!

I would just love to crack him with that shovel and see how he feels!

well pardon my ranting, on to my question...

looking at this little one I am thinking maybe black rat but I have heard of people catching corn hatchlings near here too so I just wanted to get everyones input on what he might be....

My sister says there are alot more of these little ones there and if they are safe to catch she is going to catch them and relocate them... I told her from what I could tell that it would be safe but that I would get others opinions also before I will give her the ok to catch them...

it's color may be distorted just a bit considering it's not alive but any input would be appreciated...

Attachments

• deadbabybody.jpg
    deadbabybody.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 109
  • deadbabycolseup.jpg
    deadbabycolseup.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 109
  • headshot.jpg
    headshot.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 108
Looking at the pics, my first impression is of a black rat, but I'm not too certain. I've only seen adult pics of them.

I don't think it's a black rat as they look very much like a hatchling corn. I'd be more inclined to agree with black racer, but I haven't seen too many of those in pics or in person to be qualified to answer either.

D80

I have to agree... according to the links Hediki posted it looks identical to the black racer babies pictured.

I'm going to tell my sister to go ahead and move them if she can...

Thanks for the input guys!

no problem mon ( trying to work that jamaican acent lol). it beema while since ive done reaserch so thank u. lol :cheers:

It is without a doubt a black racer. I've bred them before and that is what they look like. Don't ask me WHY I bred them....

Just because I guess....

That happens quite a bit.. Sad, that there is little respect for some parts of nature.. I try to teach people and tell people that these critters have a place here in the Eco system balence.. It comes down to the stigma attached and some deep down fear of serpents.. :shrugs:

Regards

Oh no, what was it going to do...eat his finger? Yes, irrational dumb people really annoy me. And the sad fact is, they're everywhere it seems. At least my own mother, who once broke a garden hoe on a garter snake, will call me to come get any stray serpent that's wandered into her flowerbeds and relocate it.

I agree with everyone, young black racer. Which could be why it met its end, it didn't try to run and got defensive when encountered. I encountered an adult Blue Racer once as a child on our back acreage, and the damned thing chased ME, instead of the other way around. Talk about leaving an impression, fastest dang snake I've ever seen. :sidestep:

The snout of it is too small for it to be a black rat snake, and the vanishing pattern towards the tail end pretty much cinches the deal. Pretty little thing, too bad we're looking at a KIA. =/

Having caught and raised Black and Blue Racers, ummmm no pun intended, I can tell you that is most certainly a baby Black Racer.

Yep Misty, next to a Whip Snake, Racers are the most ornery snakes I have ever encountered.

~Jeff C.

Back