• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

separate container -- how necessary is it?

Snek

We never fed our snakes in a separate container when I grew up with them as pets, but we do feed our beardie live prey outside of her cage so she only associates her cage with rest and play, not aggressiveness and hunting. Does it work the same way with snakes? We definitely want to do anything possible to avoid having an aggressive snake.

there are two potential problems with cage feeding.
1. substrate can become attached to the food item which can cause potential impaction. it's more of a risk with larger pieces of bark or hard (rock/sand) substrates. solutions are feeding in a separate container or place the food item in a temporary container or surface in the tank, though the animal can move it.

2. the other is that the animal can associate the opening of the cage and presence of a human with a feeding. i think the best way to mitigate this is to regularly change water and handle your animal so that it associates your smell not with food, but with a handling experience.

so the best solution I think is to regularly handle your animal to disassociate your scent with food and feed in a separate cage so that you can clean the main holding area and prevent impaction.

To add to the above I like to feed my snakes outside the cage so I can put them in a smaller container where they will not get distracted from eating. They are right there in a small container with their mouse. Once it's gone they go on their merry way in their tank. It's just easier for me that way.

In addition to what has been written above, one further reason is that in case I haven't held my snakes that week, it gives me an opportunity to check them over and make sure they're doing okay because I have to take them out in order to feed them.

I'd had my snake for five months when I decided to try feeding him in his tub. It seemed like it would be less stressful not having to chase him out of the tub before eating, and it would be quicker for me too.

I noticed that he did get more attentive than I was comfortable with... Anytime I stuck my hand in the tub, he'd swing his head around really fast and would start coming up at me. He was always ready to eat.

I stopped doing it when he missed the pinky and started eating something else. It freaked me out and I thought I'd killed him for sure.

Story!
I used to put washcloths in the tub as a reusable hide I could stick anywhere and take out to wash as needed. I had already fed him one pinky and was holding the second one out in the open for him to come and get when that second one fell from the tongs. He had already started coming out to get it, but instead of grabbing the mouse, he went two inches to the left and started eating the washcloth.

I thought he'd spit it out when he realized it wasn't food, but he didn't, kept working it down. I grabbed him and the cloth and ran his head under some cool water (he hated that) and he eventually let it go. He had a death grip on one hand, enough that my thumb started turning purple, and kept striking at my other hand while I tried to get him back into his tub.

I didn't feed him the second pinky and thought he was going to regurgitate the first one. He didn't and everything was fine. Digested and pooped, fed him a smaller meal next week.

Anyway, I feed in a separate container now. :p

Oh one more thing. It makes spot cleaning the tank a bit easier while the snake is not in the tank.

I feed all thirty of the kiddos in their cages. I dry all the mice off and hand feed them (except my boa! Yikes!). While the aspen is always a potential issue, I have noticed with the mice dried off the aspen tends to fall away. I only have one snake who expects food when the door opens, and that's a corn. I usually get all my snakes out with a cheap hook from petco. Most of them are okay with me just picking them up from the middle of their bodies.

For me, it depends on the snake.

With hatchlings in delis, they are housed on paper towels, so I do feed them right in there, and regularly change out the paper towel afterwards. I've just found that to be easier and less fuss for the itty-bitty ones during their first few months.

Once the babies have graduated onto aspen, I use separate feeding bins until I am comfortable with their feedings habits. (This applies if I acquire new yearling or adult snakes, as well.) Once they have demonstrated solid, consistent grab reflexes off the feeding tongs, generally they are all fed in their bins.

That said, I do have one girl (two years old, I've had her from the day she hatched) that has lazy feeding habits, so she still has a separate feeding bin. I don't want to leave a mouse in her tub and have her drag it all over the place while I'm not looking.

ETA: Even with most of my adults being fed in their bins, I have never had any issues with aggressive behavior. A couple can be excitable when I open up their tubs for regular handling (mouse optimists), but I've never been bitten or struck at while reaching in to pick them up. I'm sure it could still happen, but I don't really consider it to be a concerning issue.

Last edited:
Back