• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sex of my albino jungle corn

manders717

(S)he is 10 months old, and has been shedding about every three and a half to four weeks. Yesterday, for the first time, I noticed when I was looking at the shed skin that beside the cloacal scale on either side is a little red pointed mark, right on the shed skin. Does this say anything about the sex of the snake? I'd like to know if Delilah is actually Daryl. :) If someone needs to see a picture to help me out, I'll gladly take one and post it. Thank you!

I don't believe that's a method of sexing a corn, I have quite a few of both sexes and have seen those "pointed red bits" on all their sheds, sorry :)

The best way to find out the sex of your corn is to have it popped, if it's very young, or probed if it's a bit older by someone experienced, like a vet that deals with herps or a local breeder.

Hope that's helped :)

Thank you for that bit of info. I hadn't seen it on any of the sheds before, and I was concerned that (s)he was hurt or something.

Thank you for that bit of info. I hadn't seen it on any of the sheds before, and I was concerned that (s)he was hurt or something.

You're welcome :)

I don't find it on every shed, but have seen it quite frequently on both male and females sheds and some of my corns are 4 and 5 years old. Also it seems to start appearing as they get older, not so much when they're hatchlings :)

The best way to find out the sex of your corn is to have it popped, if it's very young, or probed if it's a bit older by someone experienced, like a vet that deals with herps or a local breeder.

What does that mean? Having a young snake 'popped' ?

What does that mean? Having a young snake 'popped' ?

"Popping" is a technique used by herp vets and breeders to determine the sex of young snakes, where they manually try to evert the hemipenes, which is why it is best done by someone with a fair bit of experience at it, because if done incorrectly it can harm the snake.

Hope that explains it :)

Sorry.. newb :p

"Popping" is a technique used by herp vets and breeders to determine the sex of young snakes, where they manually try to evert the hemipenes, which is why it is best done by someone with a fair bit of experience at it, because if done incorrectly it can harm the snake.

What are the hemipenes?

Hemipenes = Male snakes "equipment", they have two, that are situated in the tail. Obviously females don't have that "equipment", if you know what I mean ;)

Back