• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sexing your corn

gertrude

Hi,

I was just wondering if any one had any tips on how to sex your corn?
I'm not keen on the idea of popping or probing.
I have been told that male have a slightly thicker tail than females but only having one snake at present, I have nothing to compare the tail to.
Any tips or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There is the possibility to count the scales, but it isn't very accurate. Just a little better than relying on tail thickness or length, though.
If you want to try:
Wait for the next shed and count the ventral scales (from head to cloaca) and then count the tail scales (from cloaca to the tail edge). Ventral scales minus Tail scales equals a number. If this number is below 154, then it should be a male. If the number is above 154, then it should be a female. But, like I said, not the safest method. ;)

The best thing is to let a vet do the probing, if you really want to know.

But why is it important since you have only one?

If you can post a picture of the tail, making sure to include the cloaca, people can make educated guesses. But it is not 100% accurate.

I can give you a guess right now and say female, that's about 50% accurate :)

There is the possibility to count the scales, but it isn't very accurate. Just a little better than relying on tail thickness or length, though.
If you want to try:
Wait for the next shed and count the ventral scales (from head to cloaca) and then count the tail scales (from cloaca to the tail edge). Ventral scales minus Tail scales equals a number. If this number is below 154, then it should be a male. If the number is above 154, then it should be a female. But, like I said, not the safest method. ;)
I have never heard of this before, nor read of it. But it does sound extremely interesting. For a rainy day.

defo go to were you got the corn and get professional advice if you want 100 percent answer...dont be wait do it now rather than when he gets older it sometimes discomforts the corn after probing it..
bonnyandclyde..

defo go to were you got the corn and get professional advice if you want 100 percent answer...dont be wait do it now rather than when he gets older it sometimes discomforts the corn after probing it..
bonnyandclyde..

Don't bank on a 100% answer! The only 100% answer is if you successfully breed it! You can go to youtube and do a search on snake sexing. Some of the videos that come up, may be of some help! You can have a "qualified" vet do it, but that will cost you a few $$. You can also go to Kathy Loves site, which is Cornutopia.com and watch her sexing videos. If I were you, I would find someone near by, that raises or breeds snakes and see if they can show you how it's done. Most snakes breeders/keepers are excited to help!

Good Luck!

Wayne

If you want to try:

I got 139 for my male.
163 for female.
It works!

Cool, thanks for the help guys. Next time he/she sheds, I will try the counting method and let you know.

Thanks again.

@vetusvates: I didn't say it's a very quick method ;) You're right, it's laborious.

@misery: Hej, congrats. It often works, but sadly not always. I know someone with a 157 male and a 150 female. Anyway he got the pair he wanted, so it wasn't that bad.

Back