• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sexing

Russsss

In Love's Corn Snake Manual there's a picture showing how to pop out a male neonate's winkies with light thumb pressure.
Has anyone here done that? Any insight or advice?

It is a relatively easy procedure but you need to have a knowledgeable herper show you the proper technique.

DO NOT TRY THIS WITHOUT INSTRUCTON. It can permanently damage the snake.

Could be internal or external

Actually, you can permanently damage the spine. (Looks like a kinked tail)

The picture in the Manual looks kinda freaky. I'm not eager to try it (and won't). I'll wait until my "jungle corn" is large enough and go with the tail method.
My neighbor also has an amel, about 3 feet long and female so naturally I'm eager to see if I should anticipate a future merger.

Attachments

• scooter in the jungle.jpg
    scooter in the jungle.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 97
ok here is an easy and sure fire way of knowing your snakes gender

If you are ‘into’ alternative technology then the following method may be of interest. You need a box about 60 cm long x 20 cm wide, the height is unimportant. A piece of reflective material and 30 cm of brake pipe (this can be found on a dark night, under your neighbour's car). Fix the reflective material to the inside of one end of the box. Bore two holes in the sides of the box at the other end and thread the brake pipe through these holes. The pipe should be about 3 cm from the end of the box and about 3 cm clear of the base. Place the young snake in the centre of your box and wait. If it goes and leans on the bar, it’s a male. If it goes and admires itself in the mirror, it’s a female.

That's really funny blito!

As for the tail method, just know that it is not always accurate, Russsss.

Pretty jungle corn, by the way. I always have to mention this whenever someone mentions possibly breeding a hybrid snake...

Whatever you do...be responsible and make certain that ALL of the buyers of any offspring from your junglecorn know that they are buying a hybrid. You also have to tell them the same thing...if they ever breed the jungles, then the offspring MUST be sold as hybrids.

There are many people who disagree with producing hybrids. They only want pure corns (or kings). They want to keep their lines pure, and they have that right. It is wrong to sell a hybrid as a pure snake, anyway.

Good luck! By the way, I am not one of the people against hybrids. I am just against misrepresenting them.

CornCrazy, I meant "jungle corn" jokingly because of the picture. (S)he's an amel, about 12-13" long and recently started enjoying hanging out in the gardens of Babylon (actually a cheapo, $1.99 plastic vine).
I'm afraid I'm not much of a photographer; the original picture was much clearer but too big to upload.

As a kid I had many snakes including two boa constrictors, Ely and Elly, which I had to sell in order to get married. Now it's two decades later and my kids (4 girls and one on the way) are fascinated with snakes. They saw our neighbor's amel and wanted a corn snake. So after much cajoling my 13 year old actually succeeded in obtaining Mom's agreement.

Our snake is named "Scooter" and is absolutely beautiful IMHO. An excellent feeder and reasonably tame although with no shortage of youthful wriggle. I'm looking forward to watching this little one grow up.

Back