• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

shaking

snake guy

It's never to late
i went to go and pick up my corn and out of nowhere he started to shake his tail like a rattle snake and got into strike postion. He has never done this or ever tried to bite me in any way.

yeah, Sounds like you just scared the little guy. Don't fret it.
After you pick him up and held him for a bit, he was alright, correct??
And don't fear the bite. You probability stubed your toe harder than his bite.

My Okeeta corn and my king both do this on occasion. It is normal behavior. You might of just caught him off guard and he went into defensive behavior. IMO once they get their dander up, just give them a bit of time to calm down. If you need to get them out of the cage right then, for whatever reason, I use a snake hook. Normally once I get a hold of them they are pretty active but ok (not trying to bite me) Betty rattles her tail quite often. In the wild this is to let people know that she is there and to ward off predators. Don't worry it is not a constant behavior, my Betty is still a very sweet snake and can be handled easily. She tends to do it the most right before I feed her. I take her out of her cage and put her in a container to feed her. She knows when she goes in that box food is on its way and she gets pretty excited.

Don't let it worry you. :wavey:

OK the past year I've just put the live mouse in his cage and let Mich go to work. So I just put him in a container for feeding. If thats the case to day is his feeding day. Sweet (bloodbath) Mich is going to unleash the fury.

Well, maybe Mitch did think you were going to feed him.... it's better to feed him a separate tub to avoid this confusion.

By the way, I wouldn't retreat and let the snake calm down when he acts that way. That way he will learn it works to scare you of and will do it again.

Using a snake hook when he acts defensive is ok, but I think it is better to use your hands cause he might 'manipulate' you into using the hook in the long term cause he likes your hands less... and being comfortable when handled by hands is a good thing when going to a vet for example... (just pick him up wearing gloves a couple of times, worked for me on defensive snakes..... ) Of course this is quite an extreme scenario but these are just my 2 cents...

snake guy said:
OK the past year I've just put the live mouse in his cage and let Mich go to work. So I just put him in a container for feeding. If thats the case to day is his feeding day. Sweet (bloodbath) Mich is going to unleash the fury.

What's your substrate and feeding routine?

I've got a charcoal that does the rattler routine every single time I get him out. Quite often nips me too, little rascal. I pretty sure he'd be most annoyed if he knew how cute I find it :) As soon as I have hold of him he's as chilled as any of my other corns. I probably won't find it so cute if he's doing it as an adult, but am hoping he'll chill out as he gets older. Some are just cranky I guess!

Back