• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

She only feeds in her element.

Stock350

Modern Day Cowboy
I've had Demeter for about three to four weeks now, and I've been having some serious issues with her not wanting to feed outside her habitat. Well, I guess it really isnt all that serious, being that she will eat, I guess I should be lucky for that, being that I've read posts about snakes not wanting to eat at all.

Well, I've fed her roughly three times now, and everytime I pull her out of her habitat and put her in a good sized shoe box with a helpless pinkie, all she wants to do is escape the shoe box and get back to her habitat. She is never aggressive towards me, in fact, she rather I hold her than be in that shoe box. Its sort of reminds me when a mother takes her child to the doctors office and the child wants nothing to do with anything but to be held by its mother or just go home. Heh.

Well, I've left Demeter alone in the box, within eye sight of course for nearly twenty minutes and she just wont pay that pinkie no mind. As soon as I place Demeter back in her habitat, she either goes back to her hide or coils up near her hide and waits for her meal. She knows whats coming. Although, Ive been warned that I can make an agressive snake if I continue to feed her in her habitat, Demeter has never shown any aggressiviness towards me whatsoever.

I drop the pinkie in and she goes to investigate of course. This last time, Demeter took the pinkie from behind and swallowed the meal butt first. Not quite sure she knows how to constrict or really find out where the head is to swallow first, or maybe she just doesn't care. Anyway, I had to listen to a squeaking pinkie for a good twenty minutes while Demeter finished it off and then retreated back to her hide. It will probaby be three days since I'll see her again, and I'll be cleaning up snake poop for those days remaining, but you know what? I'm just glad I bought her. She's been truely awesome as a pet.

Thanks for any input, comments or advice in advanced. Great website and great people.

:puke01:

My corn is like yours - he ignores me and the mouse when he's in his feeding tub and just looks for a way to get out. To get around this, I place a hide in his tub with him. He just seems happier to eat when there's something there. I've always noticed he's more willing to constrict when he can drag the mouse back in to the safety of the hide.

Plissken said:
My corn is like yours - he ignores me and the mouse when he's in his feeding tub and just looks for a way to get out. To get around this, I place a hide in his tub with him. He just seems happier to eat when there's something there. I've always noticed he's more willing to constrict when he can drag the mouse back in to the safety of the hide.

Holy crap! I never even thought about that! I bet it would calm her down enough where she would come out eventually and get her meal.

So now, another question. After she eats, I dont want her throwing it back up due to handling or stress, how can I avoid this? I've never had to handle her after she fed to move her back to her habitat. What would you suggest? I was thinking of putting her in a shoe box of some sort and cutting a hole on the side and making sort of a snake door for her, so I can sort of place the shoe box in her habitat and allow her to climb out at her leisure.

When my snakes are done eating, I simply take the lid off the tub and hold the tub up to the open door of the vivarium. They slither in of their own accord. If your tank opens at the top however, you can put the tub inside the tank and wait for her to find her way out :)

Is it possible you could send me a picture of your vivarium? I'd like to get an idea of what those are all about.

Thanks for the help. :)

Of course :) Here's my snake setup. My corn is on the top, my python is at the bottom. I've also got a smaller viv on top since this picture was taken.

vivs1.jpg

Wow. That is really beautiful. If you dont mind me asking, what does it cost to set up something like that? Say, just one for a corn.

Thank you!

I paid £80 each for the vivariums themselves. Add the extras - hides, heat mat, etc, at about say £30, you're looking at around £100-120 for one of these setups - which is about $150-180. However, you can probably get the vivs a lot cheaper if you shop around, especially if you're willing to buy second-hand.

If you want more pictures, just ask. :)

Thank you very much. You have an awesome set up. I was looking online earlier at them, and I priced out some nice setups very similiar to yours. I shall be purchasing one real soon. I think my corn will be better off in something that nearly replicates her natural enviroment, instead of just a hide and a water dish.

Stock350 said:
Thank you very much. You have an awesome set up. I was looking online earlier at them, and I priced out some nice setups very similiar to yours. I shall be purchasing one real soon. I think my corn will be better off in something that nearly replicates her natural enviroment, instead of just a hide and a water dish.

It's my pleasure. Best of luck getting set up, and just shout if you need any more help :)

Back