• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shed Lenght

bataco

Daniel
If I check my boy shed's size, is that the exact length of the snake? or when they shed, it stretches, thx! :madeuce:

They do not show true length of your snake by shed skin.
They stretches, I thought the excat same thing when I measured my
girl's skin, and thought will show the true measurement.

Hope this helps.
I heard you can try to measure your snake with string.

You cannot measure how long they are by the shed skin, though you can compare an older shed to a new one to get a feel for how much they've grown, which is kinda fun.

I just gently straighten mine out next to the tape measure to figure out how long they are and go by snout to vent length (SVL) rather than total length, which would be harder to get. They seem mildly annoyed with me when I do it but it only takes a second and they get over it quickly.

There is a computer program floating around you can use to measure them from a photo. I think you need something in the photo for scale. Someone can probably post the link, I've never used it personally.

You cannot measure how long they are by the shed skin, though you can compare an older shed to a new one to get a feel for how much they've grown, which is kinda fun.

Not true. Shed skins do not stretch by an equal ratio each time. One shed skin can even be shorter than the following shed.

Not true. Shed skins do not stretch by an equal ratio each time. One shed skin can even be shorter than the following shed.

I disagree, it is true, as I stated it. You cannot measure one skin, measure the next and subtract to find out how much they've grown, true. But you CAN compare a shed from a few rounds ago to their most recent one to get a general idea of how much bigger they are now. Especially with young snakes where the growth over the course of a few months can be quite dramatic. It just a fun thing, not a way to chart growth.

I disagree, it is true, as I stated it. You cannot measure one skin, measure the next and subtract to find out how much they've grown, true. But you CAN compare a shed from a few rounds ago to their most recent one to get a general idea of how much bigger they are now. Especially with young snakes where the growth over the course of a few months can be quite dramatic. It just a fun thing, not a way to chart growth.

Again, NOT VALID. I have measured over 100 snakes (many of them for at least 2 different cycles even though I couldn't use both measurements for analysis) and their sheds for my book. A snake may grow 2 inches, but have a shed increase in length from almost 2" to over 6" (approximate numbers for sake of argument only - these measurements depend on the actual length of the snake at the time of the shed event - and probably the population from which it arises, too). I have had a shed 6 weeks after the previous one be SHORTER than the earlier shed. Yes, the first shed stretched a LOT while the second shed didn't stretch much. Bad luck.

I measured sheds "as is" and "soaked and dried." Same results, but different numbers. I even tried "maximum stretch length," but I couldn't figure out how to put even pressure without ripping the sheds - and if the pressure should be constant or proportional to the length of the individual shed. If I can address those problems, I'll test that method, too.

I'm sorry if the sheds from your 2 snakes make you believe otherwise, but this based on a false premise. Comparing sequential sheds from the snake snake doesn't show how much it has grown NOR even a proportional amount of growth. The snake may grow more between shed A and B than between B and C, but they difference in shed length can be greater between B and C than between A and B.

I'm sorry if the sheds from your 2 snakes make you believe otherwise, but this based on a false premise. Comparing sequential sheds from the snake snake doesn't show how much it has grown NOR even a proportional amount of growth.

Quite honestly you are missing my point entirely. I'm not talking about in any kind of scientific sense. I'm talking in a "the shed from a hatchling will NEVER be as large as the shed from a 200g 2 year old" sense.

It is FUN for some of us with very few snakes that we keep as pets and have FUN with to look back at those little baby sheds and compare them to the shed from our great big adult snake to see how small they used to be.

I'm not talking about in any kind of scientific sense.

Actually, I misstated this. I AM talking about a scientific sense, I'm not talking about 1 shed to the next, you need a longer period of time to see a consistent difference.

There IS a correlation between the size of the snake and the size of the shed, but that correlation is not very tight because the amount of stretch to the shed is affected by a number of factors not all of which are easy to figure out. If that correlation didn't exist then adult retics would throw sheds the same size as those of corn snake hatchlings and vice versa.

Back