• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

shedding/feeding

wisconsin

brandon
i read in kathy love's book that corn's lose their appetite pre-shedding and get hungry after a shed-----how long do i wait after a shed to offer food? :shrugs:

wisconsin said:
i read in kathy love's book that corn's lose their appetite pre-shedding and get hungry after a shed-----how long do i wait after a shed to offer food? :shrugs:

Well, maybe that what you read but.... I have found out that some snakes, (never found a percentage), eat during the shed cycle and some don't. One of my corn will but the other won't. Go figure. :shrugs: I offer the one corn who usually refuse to eat a mouse first than if he refuses I give it to the other. I would try to feed it, try to stay with your feeding schedule. And see what happens.

Good Luck.

I will usually offer a feed just as she starts to go blue, than right after she finishes shedding. This keeps the missed meals down to only one. She is typically ready within an hour or so of shedding.

But much like LennyCorn said...I don't actually "skip" a feeding. I still make the offer, and if she refuses, I pass it along to my king. Sometimes she takes it, sometimes she doesn't, but I always offer.

I usually wait until after my snake sheds to offer food, he usually only takes about 5 days for the whole process so its not a really long time to wait. I actually just noticed that mine is in blue right now and his feeding day isn't suppose to be for a few days yet so I might as well wait until he is finished. Not that I think it is necessary to wait but I would rather lean towards the side of caution...so its up to you ;)

---Kenny

Neither one of my snakes have ever refused a meal during the shed process, so it's really up to your snake if it's hungry or not. Kathy Love's got some great advice, and one of THE BEST, but every snake is different.

Personally, I dont feed mine when they are in shed.I have done and still gotten a good feeding response but I tend to just leave mine be until they shed. I can usually tell when mine are going to go into blue about a week before they do....so try to get feeding in accordingly.

I fed Markey a few times when she was a yearling but then she stopped eating for me when she was in her shed cycle so I stopped offering. I figured it was better to let her have that time to herself anyway.
Right after she sheds she is usually on the prowl. She's actually quite pale right now and her eyes are white, so it's time......I started misting the warm side of her enclosure today!

My ghost wants to eat no matter what, and no matter where in the shed cycle he/she is.. still not sure what gender. As it is, at the moment, its in blue and looked at me as I walked by the viv with that "where's my food MOM!!!" look... so tomorrow there's a trip for a feeder. Gotta love the ones that dont follow the standard book rules. :)

About half of my collection eats while in blue, half does not. I think there is a slightly higher risk of regurge after eating in blue, cause some of mine regurged after eating in blue but never when not in blue. But that is only what I experienced.

Ladydragon, your signature is way too large, the limit is 4 lines ;)

Back