• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shedding, I think

rute

OK, I fed my Corn the other day and he went into his hide and stayed there for 2 days. I lifted the hide up tonight to make sure he was OK and noticed his skin color looks dull and his eyes have gone a blueish tint. OK, so I understand he's probably getting ready to shed. I have a couple of questions.

1. During this shedding time, should I continue to try holding him each evening, or leave him alone?
2. Should I continue with his regular feeding schedule, every 7 days, and should I continue putting him in his feeding cage if I feed him during this time?
3. I use a newspaper substrated and he has an artificial branch to crawl on. Do I need to put some sort of a rock in there to assist the shedding or will the branch suffice?

Thansk for the help...

Steve

He'll be more irritable during shed and yes, this is shedding. If he'll feed he will and if he won't he won't I guess. I'd mist for a bit more humidity than normal, but the artifial branch and hide should be good for him to shed on.

I usually handle mine some while she is shedding, as long as she is comfortable with it. I continue to offer food, and like what was said above, if she eats it, she will, and if she won't, try again next time. Sounds like your on the right track.

I only handle my snakes if it is necessary when they are in their shed cycle. I have a few who act normally when in blue, but most of them just want to hole up and be left alone, so I respect that. I will offer food if their feeding day comes up, sometimes they take it, sometimes not. One thing I can tell you is that this is not the time to bump up the mouse size, even if you'd already planned to, I had a bad experience with that once! Anyway, good luck with your first shed, that is always exciting! :)

The weird thing that happened to me was that I thought he was going to shed, because his skin was pretty dull and his eyes went blue. But today, his eyes are no longer blue, but his skin is still dull. What does that mean? Oh, and what percentage humidity should it be at during shedding? Thanks.

Ocelot said:
The weird thing that happened to me was that I thought he was going to shed, because his skin was pretty dull and his eyes went blue. But today, his eyes are no longer blue, but his skin is still dull. What does that mean? Oh, and what percentage humidity should it be at during shedding? Thanks.

I did learn in my research that their eyes will clear up just before they actually shed. I think it said something about 3 to 5 days before shedding. I also read that humidity should be around 40% to 50%. (Which, here in Florida is normal)

Steve

rute said:
I did learn in my research that their eyes will clear up just before they actually shed. I think it said something about 3 to 5 days before shedding. I also read that humidity should be around 40% to 50%. (Which, here in Florida is normal)

Steve
That's true, The above
Every snake is difference, so you will just have to get to know your snake more. see how it goes afer your first shed with snake.

Good Luck

My corn's eyes turn clear usally about the day or so before he sheds. I generally make the humidity a little higher to help the shendidng cycle. as far as handling, i usally don't becasue he's usally agitated. the first couple of shed cycles I offered food and he never took. Now I only offer it when he hasn't eaten in a while (like when he's in the opal stage and that day was his next feed). He still hasn't taken anything during shedding, but it all has to do with the individual snake. Good Luck!!!

OK, so it finally happened. For those of you that haven't experienced a shed yet and are wondering, I can relate what happened with my first Corn. First, of all I have a 4 foot Wild Corn I caught about a month ago. He's been eating frozen adult mice every 7 days. When I fed him last Saturday I noticed his eyes had gone a dull blue and I also noticed his skin has gotten really dark this week. Anyway, his eye cleared up a couple of day ago but the skin was still quite dark. Also, he hadn't pooped Saturday meal. Well here it is Friday and I'm getting worried about him not passing the mouse in 6 days now. I take him out of his cage for our nightly 20 minutes of watching TV and he decides my lap would be a good place to poop. Digestive concerns solved. :) Well, I put him back in his cage and proceeded to clean up my cloths and the carpet in the living room. (Man does it stink) After cleaning up, I looked in his cage and noticed he was wiggling around on his back. Gravy (That's his name) had never done this before so I stopped to take a closer. Low and behold there was a small flap of skin on his head. (The shed) So, I've been watching him all evening as he goes all over the cage trying to catch the skin on something to finish shedding. Since I only have newspaper, an empty puzzle box for his hide, and a store bought climbing limb in there, I decided to put a piece of small brain coral in to help him out but he seems to be using his body to rub against to get the skin off. It's very interesting. Anyway, this has all happened in about a week.

Steve

That's really cool to hear about. I didn't get to watch my corn shed this time. Maybe some other time she will let me watch. They are so neat, especially the wild caught ones. You are lucky that you got her to switch to f/t. I've heard that sometimes its hard to get WC to switch. Good luck with her and keep us updated. Also, aspen is prettier than newspaper and she would probably like it more.

Back