• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shedding Problems.

Menher

Menher
Righto,
My pet corn (Jasper) is about 7 months old and I have had him for 4 months.
In that time he has shed 3 times. The first time was no problem but on the second he got about half an inch of skin left on the tip of his tail (which I was able to help him out of) and the 3rd time he was left with his head and eyes part covered (which took a lot of care to clear and mede him mad with me). So what I would like to find out is.

1. If he doesn't shed very well how long should I give him before helping out with the last bits?

2. How can I avoid the problem in the first place? I know extra humidity would help but how do yuo go about it?

(This is my first post so be nice) :confused:

Give him a day or two for him to try to get the extra skin. It is not reccomended to peel the skin off. Try to put shedding aid or soak him in warm water, not hot, about room temperature water for 30 minutes.

Thanks very much.

One thing thats a bit strange about him is that he never seems to bathe in his water dish. Everyone else I know thinks their corn is part fish! :cheers:

To help prevent shedding problems in the future, you can add damp paper towels or spagnum moss to the snake's hide on the warm side of the tank. You can also use a spray bottle to mist the tank once a day.

I would suggest only doing these things when your snake is getting ready to shed, otherwise you could raise the humidity too high, which can lead to scale rot and respiritory infections.

Rather than try to get the shed off manually, a wet washcloth in a tub works well ,I call it the 'snake-o-bath!

Attachments

• shed.JPG
    shed.JPG
    44.4 KB · Views: 56
Just to reiterate, the water temperature should be luke-warm, it will feel cool to you but warm to the snake.

I have only had to help my boy out twice, but I found that leaving him to bathe in a small-ish container alone for about 15-20 mins, then letting him run through my fingers, allowed the remaining skin to come off very easily. A lot of people use wet cloths or towels, though :)

Another easy way to raise humidity is to move the water bowl slightly closer to the warm side of the tank. Which reminds me, remember to check that the temperatures are correct too :)

Back