• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shedding proplem

Sunglow Cornsnake

Yellew and red, no dread.
When i got my snake on march 8th my snake molted a week after and it came out really good. But now my snake is shedding again and it does not look good. Some skin won't come off!! The things that did come off was the head and the neck. The rest won't come off. HELP PLEASE I AM WORRIED!!!!!!!! HELP HELP MY LEGS ARE SHAKING!!! MY MOUTH IT SHAKING!!!!! HELP HELP I WANT HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek::eek:

Ok, first...take a big deep breath and calm down.

Your snake is not shedding properly because there is not enough humidity in it's enclosure. You need to provide it with some moisture ASAP. This is simple to do. You can take shredded paper towels, wet them, and place them in his hiding spot. You can also buy a plastic spray bottle, fill it with warm water and mist him and his cage a few times.

If none of that helps the shed come off, take a luke-warm dampened towel in your hands, get your snake out and let him crawl through the towel for 15 minutes or so. Just don't pull on the dead skin, as you could damage him.

:)

In the future, when you notice your snakes eyes getting cloudy, wait a couple days... his eyes will look clear again. Once this happens, increase the humidity in his enclosure. Your snake should shed all of its skin in one piece.

Whoa there, settle down. I would fill a large bowl of cool water and let the little fellow soak. My guess is that the humidity isn't that high in the viv right now. Also, it is a good idea to get a tupperware (a size that can fit your snake) cut a hole in the side, add some moist vermiculite (can be purchased at the garden center of most store and in some pets stores. I boil mine first to make sure it is clean), reclamp the lid, and the place it lid down so that the snake can get into the hole. This provides your snake with a nice moist spot that it can moisten it's scales with. This should help all future sheds. I will surf the forum for the pictures someone else posted about their 'tupperware' boxes so that you can get a better idea of what I am talking about. Also, if your little guy won't go into the bowl to soak then you can get damp paper towels and wrap him in them or offer them to him to get into himself and see if that works. Some corn snakes just HATE water, my female okeetee likes it ALOT and the male doesn't want anything to do with it but to drink from it. Hope I helped and I will keep looking for those pics!

Cool water isn't really a good idea Jadie. What's cool to us is going to feel down right nippy to them. The water should actually be tepid, and better yet measured with your digital thermometer if you're gonna give your little guy a soak.
But really it's ok and there's no reason to panic. Calm down, and try letting him run through a cloth as Voodoo suggested.

Oh really? Hmm.. I know that birds won't bathe in anything warmer that SUPER COLD so I have kind of been baseing what I do on that. Sorry if I misled anyone.. I am glad I know now. Maybe that is why my male is no "NO WAY" when I try to get him to soak... I wonder why my female likes it so much though... she stays submerged forEVER and then every once in awhile she pretends she is 'swimming' by clamping her tail to the side and going around in circles with the rest of her body. It's WAY cute.. :D I will try tepid water next time, maybe they will both like it :)

Back