• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shedding Question

jniels84

My snake has been hiding more than usuall so I dug around in the substrate and yep her eyes are all milky. So she is getting ready to shed. My question is how long does it usually take for a corn snake to shed from the milky eye stage up to the shedding? Also I bought a repti fogger terrarium humidifier. So what should the humidy be at during her shed? Im new to cornsnakes and this is her first shed so I want to do everything I can to make sure she has a successful shed. I also put a humidity box in there( tubbaware w/ a hole cut in top w/ sphagnum moss and water) just thought I should add that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It could be a few days, maybe up to 10 days or a fortnight depending on how old the snake is.

The humid hide should be fine - no need for the fogger.

I don't know exactly how old she is. But I'm pretty shure this is her first shed ever! She was tiny! When I got her. I think I would guess 5 months old.

As long as you have a humid hide and the snake chooses to use it when coming up to a shed, then I'd say the humidity in the tank isn't that significant.

In all probability you'd find that there isn't a problem with shedding even without the hide, but it's worth using "just in case".

Okay. Thanks for the quick response. I was just worried cuz she was just burrowed for like 4 days. I nudged her yesterday evening and she started exploring the viv. Ill find out this morning if she is using the humid hide. It's a new viv too so there may be some added stress too. But I put a lot of her old decor in there to help her feel more comfortable.

I think 20-25% humidity is kind of low. If she isn't using the humid hide, I'd lay a sheet of plastic wrap loosely on top of the viv and mist once a day, lightly, until she sheds.

Back