• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shedding?

lxhiddenxl

So I took out my little girl Calypso last night... and I think she made have started her shedding process. She has eaten 3 times with me so far. She ate on Friday and she normally hides for 2 days then comes out and explores but I hadn't seen her so last night I finally took her out and she seemed a bit dull. She is a creamsicle and her yellow and orange just wasn't as bright as they usually are. I asked my boyfriend if he agreed and he had no idea (it was his idea to get a reptile but its now obvious that she is mine :) since I do everything for her... she also prefers me if he's holding her and I come over she comes right to me and won't go back to him :p) Also she was bumping into my finger like she didn't know it was there. I'm excited about this! But worried as well. She has a water bowl that she could lay in if she chooses and the humidity in her viv is around 50%. Is there anything that I should do for her? Or should I just leave her be?

An amel would actually look more pink than blue, when she is in shed. She will definitely stay in hiding. You _could_ cover the top of her viv with plastic wrap, loosely- just lay it on there, and mist lightly once every day or two. One day she will come out and no longer look dull or pink, but you won't see a shed. She is then in the clear phase, and will shed in 24 hours or less, usually.

We have a creamsicle and he went light pink/peach. It was like he was a completely different snake! He's 2 years old so he might be different colored if yours is young. But it was amazing to watch as this was our first shed since we got him. My Keys Corn (AKA Rosy Rat Snake) really did go blue in the eyes and his colors just got dull, did not really change, but our Creamsicle really really did totally change colors. It was trippy! :) Then he returned to normal colors and 2 days later (today!) gave us a perfect shed from nose to tail tip in one perfect piece! Then he gobbled down a mousie after refusing for 4 weeks. Whew! I hope you get a shed soon! :)

Okay so still no shed... I took a look on Monday and she looked dull...Not much has changed since then. She was due to eat on Friday. And she is still hiding alot. Any thoughts? Should I feed her today?

Personally I'd leave her. One delayed feed won't affect her, but feeding during a shed is a regurge risk which could harm her. Unless you've previously fed during a shed without problems, I'd avoid it.

I'd leave her in peace to get on with the job in hand, then you can feed her as soon as the deed is done. It won't take long now.

A delayed feed shouldn't be any problem. Last night one of my new bought hatchlings wouldn't eat her first meal for me, the other three from the same person did, as well as the snakes I've had longer. Including one in blue. Last week one wouldn't eat, but ate this week. It's when they won't eat 2 or 3 times in a row I begin to worry.

well my candy cane corn snake has been in the clear stage for almost 2 days now and hasnt started to shed, any advise on whats it going to happen or how long im going to have to wait?

It'll happen any day now. No rules I'm afraid - it takes as long as it takes :)

okay thankyou i made a moss bed and put him in it, he sat in it from 5 minutes and then got out and went back into to his cave, is this normall

Try covering the moss container with something so that it's enclosed like his hide. He won't use it if he doesn't feel safe in it. And make sure it's on the cool side rather than the warm side.

Ok i have an amel also and at first i was confiused about the "blue phase" as her eyes are red but Baaley has dulled out and her are are turning milky pink so i know she is about to shed. Thursday is feeding time and is it ok to feed her if she is in shed and she WILL feed is it ok ? And on that note her pinkies, once they are thawed out if she dosent take it can it be refroze and reused next feeding?

Usual advice here is not to feed until after they've shed.

Once it's thawed, throw it away if it's not eaten. It's not safe to refreeze food that's already been thawed.

Ok thanks!, im slowly gaining knowledge to take care of my baby, this is my first pet snake so im trying to soak info up like a sponge. Thanks :)

Back