• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

shedding

MightyNutteR

Some one told me before corns shed, their colour turns fady and their eyes whiten a bit, well thats sort of what mines doing now. what do i do? not handle him? still feed him?

just simply carry on as normal, handle as much as you usually would, offer food if its feeding time, some snakes may refuse to eat during the blue phase, but my little amel eats whenever i offer food whether blue or not. i would make a humid hide, and also mist the viv once or twice a day to keep the moisture levels up. also just to let you know, your snakes skin and eyes are likely to clear up before it actually sheds, when they clear up its usually within 24-48 hours after this when they actually shed. hope i was some help, iv just been through my first shed with my sienna and was wondering the same things until i asked on here!

:) :cheers: :grin01: :cool:

Some snakes become irritable whilst in their shedding phase, so many people recommend not handling them for their own comfort and because if your snake does become irritable it is more likely to bite you (it's not exactly painful, but but it's a sign that he's mighty p****d off!).

If you handle your snake while it is shedding there is a possibility you will damage the new skin underneath or that you will stop your snake from shedding in once piece.

To be on the safe side, I would recommend:
1. leave him alone till he finishes shedding (I know it is tempting to get him out, but it's not for THAT long :) )
2. keep the humidity levels high in his tank (by using a mister a couple of times per day.
3. Offer him food on his usual feeding schedule, but don't worry if he rejects it, this is not unommon for snakes in shed. If he does reject his food, throw it away (don't refreeze it) and offer him food again a few days later.
4. Make sure he has plenty of clean drinking water. Don't be alarmed if he submerges himself in his water bowl - he hasn't drowned, it's perfectly normal behaviour during shedding

Hope this helps

I think the 80ish is what i mostly hear on the humidity. I feed mine ever Wed shedding or not. All tough i do not handle them while there shedding except to get them out to feed them and then to put them back. I never really tought it would damage the new skin so thanks for the tip Cocoa. I just dont handle them other than feeding because they get grumpy during sheeding. They have never refused food during this time but both my snakes are little piggies and will eat when ever offered a meal.

dry shed

My snake just shed today, the 1st time since I've had her and I had to help her to finish it. She got the head part off by herself, but when I came home tonight, the rest of it was just hanging in pieces. So I used a warm, wet paper towel and used that to help her shed the rest. It was almost like giving birth. She would wiggle a little and more would come off, then she'd rest, then wiggle some more until finally it all came off. I know that my humidity wasn't right for a good shed and will know better next time she turns blue. Its funny, I went out and got some stuff to make a humid hide just today, but she beat me to it. She is my first snake and I believe she is an '04 and I know she is an amel. Her colors are so much more vibrant now that she shed. Hope this helps with any sheds you encounter.

Becky and Bobo

I check on my snakes daily when shedding times nears. If I notice a snake that's blue I will begin misting the viv and the snake with water once a day until it sheds. I also keep 3 hides for each viv. One of the hides is used as a moist hide during shed time. I just place damp, but not soaked, paper towels inside the hide (moss would probably be better) and the snake usually will take advantage of it. This has always worked for me and all my snakes have shed whole.

Back