• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shedding?

Tang...

Firstly I hope this is in the correct place & secondly i'm sorry if theres already a thread like this.
My gorgeous common, Ivy, has just started to turn colour, her eyes are white & she has a blue tinge to her, now I know this means she is about to shed.
What I want to know is, from when the colour starts to change about how long until the shed? Also, today is her feed day...should I try or wait until shes shed?
I could of got this from an internet guide but you guys have different opinions & I just wanted to know what some of you would do, not a sheet of paper lol...Thanks. =]

The amount of time varies. I'm not sure the exact amount of days... something like a week or two I think. Mine usually go into blue, clear up, and then shed in about the course of a week or more.

As for feeding, you can try. My two girls have gotten finicky about feeding while in blue or even in the post blue clear-up, however my Caramel male never misses a meal (he's a little piggy boy). I guess that really depends on the snake itself and what they're comfortable with. :) I would try it out and see what happens. :)

The amount of time varies. I'm not sure the exact amount of days... something like a week or two I think. Mine usually go into blue, clear up, and then shed in about the course of a week or more.

As for feeding, you can try. My two girls have gotten finicky about feeding while in blue or even in the post blue clear-up, however my Caramel male never misses a meal (he's a little piggy boy). I guess that really depends on the snake itself and what they're comfortable with. :) I would try it out and see what happens. :)
Aww thanks...xD

She last shed 9th Feb at the pet shop so i've been waiting for this lol...silly how worried I am about it though...its like one of my kids getting sick lmao...
But yeah, its just a case of trial & error really huh...i'll feed her tonight & hopefully she'll want it, if not try again in a few I suppose. Thanks for the advice... <3

I would tell you the exact opposite. The snake will shed a few days 3-4 after it turns back clear. Feeding while in the blue/shed phase is a huge NO. You risk the chances of a regurge and thats something you do not want to deal with. Shedding takes a week or a little more regurges last for months. I wouldn't do a thing and let the snake shed. When it sheds check it for eye caps and any leftovers. You will want to remove the leftover shed (if any) with a damp papertowel. Be sure to check the tip of the tail as well it likes to hold on tight sometimes.

I would tell you the exact opposite. The snake will shed a few days 3-4 after it turns back clear. Feeding while in the blue/shed phase is a huge NO. You risk the chances of a regurge and thats something you do not want to deal with. Shedding takes a week or a little more regurges last for months. I wouldn't do a thing and let the snake shed. When it sheds check it for eye caps and any leftovers. You will want to remove the leftover shed (if any) with a damp papertowel. Be sure to check the tip of the tail as well it likes to hold on tight sometimes.
Argh...how confusing now lol...So, you suggest no feeding until after shes shed then? I hate the idea of her hungry lol...but thanks too for the advise. =]

Now I will come and confuse you more! LOL! I've always offered food even if my snakes are "blue". Note the key word, "offer". I've had some refuse while in blue and some that will eat while in blue. I've never had a regurge. Now of course, this is just ME. I'm not saying you wouldn't expierance a regurge. Maybe I'm just really lucky,but, I've found the ones who will not eat during blue will turn down the food. Then I just take it out and wait until it sheds.

Now I will come and confuse you more! LOL! I've always offered food even if my snakes are "blue". Note the key word, "offer". I've had some refuse while in blue and some that will eat while in blue. I've never had a regurge. Now of course, this is just ME. I'm not saying you wouldn't expierance a regurge. Maybe I'm just really lucky,but, I've found the ones who will not eat during blue will turn down the food. Then I just take it out and wait until it sheds.
You're right...you have confused me more...THANKS!!! Lol... =P

Ok ok, I shall offer her like I wanted to originally & take it from there. I'm sure if she didn't want it she wont have it huh...
Oh oh my first shed...i'm sooo excited lol... xD

On the contrary I've heard more than one person say they OFFER a meal to their snake, even in blue and that they're snakes eat without problems. But I agree with MinLynn, just because some people manage to feed during blue without issues, doesn't mean there isn't a risk of a regurge and that it won't happen to you.

If it were MY snake (and I realize it is not, but this is just what I would do), I would go ahead and offer a meal, maybe try a slightly smaller than normal meal so that it isn't too much of a strain, and see what happens. If she refuses, then don't try again until after she has shed. If she takes it be extra careful not to disturb her at all until 3-4 days after she's accepted the meal.

Good luck! First sheds are always so exciting. :D

I'm going to agree with Min and Em. I always offer food while in blue (sometimes a smaller meal, depending on the size of the snake and what size food item he/she is normally taking), except to the one snake who I know will absolutely not eat in blue (only my 2 year old ghost is fussy like that). I've never had an issue with regurges, but this isn't to say that issues can't or won't occur.

If you aren't completely comfortable feeding her during her first blue phase with you, then maybe wait and get to know her and her habits better, and go from there. Good luck! :)

My snakes usually shed within 3-5 days after the blue phase. As far as feeding , I offer, If they dont take it then I feed it to one of the others. (most of mine do eat during blue phase. They too are pigs)

Argh...how confusing now lol...So, you suggest no feeding until after shes shed then? I hate the idea of her hungry lol...but thanks too for the advise. =]

When I got my first snake, I fed her in blue. I offered, she took it. It never bothered Yohsong. I have others who've been fed in blue with no problems. Doree, however, had a partial regurge when fed so early in blue that the color change wasn't even visible yet. She was about a year old when that happened, so at least she wasn't a fragile little baby. I followed regurge protocol and it didn't cause any long term effects for her, but as a result of this experience I don't even offer food to babies in blue anymore. IMHO it's not worth the risk.

Like you, I hated the idea that my snake would be hungry if not fed while in blue. Then I really thought about it. In nature, the snake would be curled up in a hide during this phase, not out looking for food. I know, our snakes aren't out in the wild, but when I realized that not feeding blue is totally in synch with natural rhythms, I felt much better about it.

Whatever you do, it's cool that you so clearly want to take good care of your baby. :cheers:

Hey, thanks everyone for the advice...i'm still in two minds as what to do & by the time I decide she'll of probably shed anyway lol...but thanks guys...much appreciated... =]

Well, she did take her food but only half a pinky. I cut it in half before I fed her...she went mad for the cut side lol...shes fine too, no regurge either.
Her eyes are back to normal but she still has a tint to her skin...I just had a cuddle, she pooped on me again lol & she didn't want to go back to her home...My dog & her went nose to nose on the glass of the tank...bless...plus I held her over her water as I put her back...she had a huuuuge drink....
So I guess any day now shes gonna shed...I can't wait lol...

:dancer:

To add to the differing opinions, if I know a snake is blue, I don't feed. If I have already thawed the food, and there is no one else to give it to, and the snake has never regurged, I feed anyway. I've had two mystery regurges, maybe three, in which the snake was impossible for me to tell if it was blue until it shed (because of the morph). So I'm cautious.

My snakes seem to shed within 12 hours to a day or two at the very outside from when they clear.

Back