• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Shipping question

I have a shipping question for all of you. I'm going to be using Shipyourreptiles.com to ship my corn snake and my ball python together to a friend overnight via UPS. I have the shipping kit and everything I need. My only question is whether or not to include the 40 hour heat pack. The temperature for tomorrow in Portland, Oregon where I live is supposed to be a high of 77 and a low of 59. I will be sending the snakes around 5pm my time zone. I am shipping them to Kentucky where the temperature is supposed to be a high of 74 and a low of 49 on Wednesday when they arrive. It's been a week since they have last fed and they have been well hydrated and both pooped. So do you think I should include the heat pack? Thank you for your time.

The Superior Shipping website has a lot of information on the heat packs- how warm they get, in how many hours, when they peak and how long the pack lasts.

I don't know about the python, either, but I'd probably go with no heat for the corns.

If you decide not to include heat, you can include one or two room temp ice packs, which will slow the heat loss. Or maybe heat them up to 80 or 85 in warm water before packing them.

Apparently you can't ship snakes with either Shipyourreptiles.com or reptilesexpress. So I guess I'm SOOL on this. Thanks anyway for the info. Have a good one guys.

Nanci..I received this via email just the other day..

Temporary Suspension on Snake Shipping

Valued Reptiles Express Members,

The success Reptiles Express has enjoyed these first few months has been fantastic -- THANK YOU! to all who have joined as members and are using our services!

We have been working hard with UPS to develop a business model that provides value and service to the reptile community, and overall things are going well. We have however had some issues that need to be resolved concerning the shipping of SNAKES.

While reptile enthusiasts think nothing of holding, handling, or transporting a harmless non-venomous snake, this is new territory for UPS personnel, and the idea is taking some time to be fully accepted.

Technically we DO have a "snake waiver" -- we CAN ship snakes. But in spite of that fact, there has been some resistance to accepting them at some of the UPS facilities. This has resulted in confusion, delays, etc, which is obviously not good for any of us - including the animals. In order to preserve our ability to ship snakes going forward it's important that we help UPS work through these issues as calmly and smoothly as possible.

In an effort to do this, effective immediately we are placing a temporary suspension on the shipping of snakes. This is a voluntary move on our part that we feel is in the best interest of us all, and it applies to SNAKES ONLY -- we ARE still shipping other reptiles.

Updates on this issue will be posted on www.reptilesexpress.com as things progress.

We thank you for your understanding, cooperation, and for your continued support as we work towards making Reptiles Express the best it can be for us all.

ReptilesExpress.com
Clay Ghann
Michael Houtzager
Brendan Tighe

Yeah, this is on their site right now, "We have temporarily suspended the acceptance of snakes for shipping through Reptiles Express. We expect to resume acceptance of snakes in the near future. Please check back often for updates."

Does that only leave fedex then?

Hmmm...a non-venomous snake in a sealed box. What a bunch of sissies. Then again, I guess it is hard to be macho when you wear brown shorts.

:laugh01::laugh01::laugh01:

Yes UPs can be a bunch of sissies. A couple days after I got the same email posted above my UPS guy came by and actually knew about it! He said that after the good experience of picking up and carrying my snake I sold not long ago he would put in that it should be allowed and that people need to get over themselves. He asked for some sites to give info to his superiors for info to put together training for people with issues with snakes and for info on proper packaging so it can be added to the UPS website. I shared every snake site I know of with him that had good info. So we have one driver who is an advocate!

I wonder why FedEx is so okay with it, and UPS is not. They are missing out on a lot of business...

I don't know, my driver (small town so only one driver) says he doesn't understand it either. He isn't against snakes, but he would not have one as a pet. That is as far as it goes for him. He said my package was done up just fine and was one of the easiest pickups he had ever had. I think the problem ma be people not packaging their snakes properly? Not sure. Of course most the people I talk to here in the middle of milk snake and some kind of venomous snake country are all afraid of snakes. I got very angry in a yahoo because someone was gloating about killing a poor Bull snake :( They said poisonous or not NO SNAKES ALLOWED. I hope they get over run in rodents and such.

I am worried that FedEx will follow suit. Then the snake industry would crash. We are in the final stages of certification...waiting on the signed waiver to come back!!

Lucky you, they require a credit card so we can not get certified with Fedex. :mad: Had a whole mess with them trying to use our prepaid visa to get setup. Sigh.

Lucky you, they require a credit card so we can not get certified with Fedex. :mad: Had a whole mess with them trying to use our prepaid visa to get setup. Sigh.

See if you can sign up using your checking account or a debit card. When I got rid of all my credit cards, I simply switched payment over to my checking account.

Back