• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Should I Add Branches

ken347

Corn Addict In Training
So I got my snow corn a few weeks ago and he has occasionally came out his hide and roams around the bottom of the cage but recently he decided to get extremely active cause of breeding season and the one hide I have is a ceramic tree that is tall and he suddenly climbs up it and lays across the top alot should I add branches for him to climb on or is this just a phase from his mood?

Some like to climb, some don't. It can't hurt to add some climbing things to his cage and if he doesn't use 'em, take them out later.

Just make sure whatever you put in is snake-friendly, especially if you go collecting your own branches. Certain types of woods are bad, as are all the little buggies and nasties that could be living in them!

My snow climbs all over the place. I have set up the vivarium elaborately with statues, caves, and trees with high vines connecting them. He has explored every surface area of every object, there isn't one square inch he hasn't touch and I always find him in new positions wrapped around the objects this way or that.
Personally I think its a lot more natural for them to have a varied environment, but maybe some corns aren't as active as mine. But its neat to watch, so if your snake likes to climb, I'd say the more embellishments you give him to climb on, the better.

Well the reason why I'm asking is cause last week he never climbed never even tried to but now that he knows its breeding season he is really active and chooses to climb so i don't know if i should add stuff or not cause I don't know if he's deciding he wants to climb from now on or if he is only climbing cause of the season then once it ends he will stop? Also I have him in a fifty five gallon tank its 4 foot by one foot wide and 18 inches high any recommendations on some preferred climbing toys he also likes digging alot

Well you are keeping a living creature as a pet. He will go through many dynamics and different phases of behavior as he grows. Snakes aren't boring, they won't always do the same thing. They will pick different hides, decide to burrow deep in the substrate for a change, hang out in high altitudes, and kill their prey in a plethora of different ways. They are rather exotic and endlessly fascinating to observe and that's why we love them as pets.
Really its up to you how you want the tank to look, it is mostly cosmetic. In my experience, climbing has little to do with "mating season", snakes climb because its their nature to seek prey anywhere they can find it. Any toys will work as long as they are securely placed, won't collapse and don't have a sharp edge that could possible hurt your snake.

He might like a reptile hammock in one corner. Or a hide tall enough to perch on. (Mine all have these Wine Cube things, which are cardboard boxes with small holes, maybe 8" square??)

Well his one hide is high up so maybe I'll make his other two high to and I'll look into the hammock also I just that with his newly discovered climbing skills he doesn't find any weak spots in the lid ( custom built)

I dont plan on using any branches from outside cause the only trees that I see around here are pine trees I'll buy some branches

We have grape vine branches in our vivs and also fake plants. Two of our snakes I swear think they are tree snakes and are always up in the fake plants or perched on the branches. The other one climbs when he is active and out but will always end up back on the ground in a hide and the other I have never seen climb anything. He spends all his time cruising under his aspen.

I would give him some options add some in and see if he finds them interesting.

I dont plan on using any branches from outside cause the only trees that I see around here are pine trees I'll buy some branches

from a florist shop where they may have been grown with petrochemicals, or the imported curly branches, which may have been treated with formaldehyde? Please make sure they are safe for reptile pets, not that the floor personnel wherever you buy them would even have a clue...

a side thought is branches from the outside might have unknown residues on them, so better to collect from the deeper woods than roadsides

Like everyone else said, sometimes you never really know if they like climbing or not. Even when they have something to climb on you'll think they never use it, until that one day you catch them in a random spot you've never seen them.

I have scrubbed the branches I use, heat-treated them in the oven and then applied a thin coating of water-based wall panelling clear coat, to seal the surface.

Fake plant vines seem to be a popular climbing place for my youngling, too.

Back