• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Should I be concerned?

ArvadaLanee

I went to take out Nightmare and hold him the other night, and he did something he's never done before. He lunged out of my hands quick as a flash, and I barely caught him before he got under the coffee table. When I did pick him up, he continued to thrash around like crazy, and I finally decided to just put him back. I could barely get the lid on his enclosure before he got out, because he continued to act crazy in his tank, shooting around like crazy. After a few minutes, he finally calmed down, and I checked his temps, to be sure they were good, and then chalked it up to an extreme mood swing. To be honest, it was just so very shocking, because while Nightmare can be a bit of a butt sometimes when I am getting him out, he has always calmed down, and been very sweet and gentle. I figured I'd give him a day or two to relax, and then try again, but then last night, I was getting into my dresser, and when I closed the drawer, the sound sent Nightmare shooting out, and acting all crazy again in his tank! He was zipping around like the devil was after him. In the two years we've had him, I've never seen him do anything like this! I know that males can act funny during breeding season, but this crazy? He is 2, so I am guessing he could be right at that age, but I have no experience with breeding type behavior, so I don't know if this is it. His temps are good, and there's nothing I can think of that's changed. We do have a baby female corn, and just got a baby female ball python, but they are all in separate rooms, and I alway hold Nightmare first, and wash hands, and try to avoid any cross contamination. I guess I don't know just how strong their smelling is. Could he know they are here? Could that trigger this behavior? It is really freaking me out, because I feel somewhat afraid to take him out now. I'm not afraid he will bite me or anything, but I am nervous he will get away from me again, or possibly even hurt himself thrashing around like that! He has never done anything like this. I didn't see anything wrong with him, and he's not going into blue. He is used to being handled, and is actually my kid's snake, and calm enough for the kids to handle with no problems. (They do not hold him without me there to supervise, so I know they haven't done anything.) Please tell me if I should be stressing over this, and if there is anything I should be doing. I feel so awful, because it looks like he's freaking out, and I don't have a clue what caused it. Thanks so much for you help.

WHOA! That sounds extremely puzzling! Like seeing a sign that says, "DRY PAINT" or something like that! (sorry, can ya tell that I've attempted Better Living Through Chemistry on more than one occasion? LOL!!)

But seriously speaking, it sounds like breeding behavior, though it IS a little extreme! It is possible he is catching the scent of your other little sneaky ones though it appears you have all the bases covered (unless one of the experts here see or sense something I don't?).

For the immediate future, I would just make sure that when you DO handle him, you ensure you are in a relatively safe spot should he spring out of your hands without having to worry about him getting lost. I am pretty sure this will resolve itself with the changing of the seasons!

BTW, his name seems more than totally APPROPRIATE!! I love it!!

Thanks! I do really love his name, although I can't take credit for it. My twin boys picked it out. It really is fitting, as Nightmare has always been the most feisty of our snakes. He has always had days he wasn't in the mood to be messed with, and since he is perfectly fine other times, I have learned to be respectful of his moods. He once took a swipe at me just for changing his water, and I didn't even see it coming, because he was hiding behind a plant. Goofy little guy. He is somewhat protective of his territory, but like I said, once he is out, he has always been very relaxed. The other day when he freaked out, he was even calm when I picked him up. I am really wondering if he caught the scent of those girls. Perhaps I should think of this as a snake puberty? I hope it is just a phase, and he will go back to his normal self, because there is no way the boys can hold him while he's like this, and they love him. They're always so disappointed when they ask to hold him, and I have to say no. I guess I'll just keep an eye on him, and try again in a few days. As long is it isn't a health issue, I feel better. His safety and comfort are the main thing. :)

Hi ArvadaLanee!

Now before we go off and assume there's nothing wrong, I would feel much better once a couple of the experts here chime in. I am just one dude with an opinion based mostly on experience, which is very little compared with the wealth of knowledge found on this forum. While I THINK your snake is just going through the changes which are the result of the mating/breeding season, I would hope to hear from someone else who can confirm this or make a suggestion as to what else you can do rule out any other issues.

You say you checked the temps and that hey are OK. You also mentioned that this behavior is somewhat typical of this particular snake since he "took a swipe" at you? Does that mean he went to bite you? Sounds like your snake is a little temperamental, as some of them are. One thing I didn't ask before: did you look closely for pests, as in dust mites or other live irritants? If you place your snake in a clean and dry tub with nothing but white paper towels, you will be able to distinguish between residue from substrate and anything that might be moving.

I really hope not, especially because you have other sneaky ones in your house. But until others here chime in, I would make sure that that isn't what the problem is or could be.

Also, what are you using as substrate/bedding? (apologies if you already said so, as I am not the SHARPEST knife in the DISHWASHER as of late!).

Yes, you are absolutely right. I am still not just assuming that mating behavior is for sure what it is, but for now, it is good to know that it's a possibility. Since I haven't seen any other issues, marks, or obvious signs of stress, I am just really hopeful that this is just Nightmare's version of mating behavior. When I say he took a swipe at me, I do indeed mean he tried to bite me. He has bitten me twice, and my oldest son once, but that was when he was pretty little still. Since then, he has had a few times where he has been protective of his enclosure, cooling into strike possition when I'm cleaning up, or acting jumpy, and then that one incident when he tried to bite me again, but these things don't happen very often, and he has never shown aggression, or been jumpy, outside of the enclosure before. It has always seemed to me like he just doesn't particularly like hands in his home. There have also been occasions where we've held him, and he is just constantly moving, and never really sits still, but I never thought that was anything bad. He just seemed curious and active. I like to think of him as a snake with many moods.

As for substrate, he is in aspen, mixed with a small amount of coco fiber. He has never had issues with it sticking to him, and when I take him out, he has never had any on him. I haven't seen him soaking, or showing any signs like that of mites, and the girls haven't showed any signs either. I have never seen spots on them, and I do check, because I get paranoid. I don't have a very big tub to put him in. I feed him in a round critter keeper. If I take him out and he acts like a nut ball again, I'm not even sure I could get him in that. I mean, maybe, but I really don't want to manhandle him unless it's absolutely necessary.

Beyond those two strange incidents, he has been his usual self. He hides quite a bit, occasionally naps at the top of his "tree," which is a piece of driftwood with fake flowers fixed to it. He sometimes pokes his head out of his hide if he hears us in the room, and keeps an eye on what we're doing. There is nothing new in his cage, or in our room, so I wouldn't think there would be any type of irritant.

I guess I'm just very hopeful that he is just coming of age, and dealing with hormones, because otherwise, it is a mystery. I do know there is a reptile vet not too far away, and the price for a wellness check is very reasonable, so if it becomes necessary, I can always make an appointment for him. (Even though my boyfriend will roll his eyes and call me "Coddles.") I do hope to hear from some more people, who can maybe give me some more ideas, and share their thoughts and wisdom. I may need some advice on handling a crazy butt, if he keeps this up! I'm such a softie, I feel bad when he squirms, and get nervous about hurting him.

My male sunny did this to me yesterday as a matter of fact. He was all curled up on my hand just hanging out being awesome and what have you. Then his horny little ass started flapping all about and I almost dropped him lol little bastard. It happened whilst I was trying to take the shed out of one of our females bins. Sounds to me like love is in the air ( literally ) at your house lol. Btw the vibration of the drawers do freak them out. You gotta figure, it would be like an earthquake to you or i. I wouldn't worry juuuust quite yet.

Nothing wrong with that, better to be respectful and responsible with your pets then to be neglectful. It may ease your mind a little bit to watch some snake breeding videos some of those suckers really fly around lol. Also some don't, depends on the snakes personality.

I think Blkfly has a good point, about vibrations I mean, as snakes can't hear. And imagine for a moment that you are in a room or cell and all of sudden some GIANT hands come in to grab you! Typically, corns and most other snakes will try to flee rather than to defend themselves unless they are cornered, so for Nightmare to bite you or even TRY to, I'd think he was pretty scared or probably even TERRIFIED! Add the flood of hormones that this time of year usually causes in young adults to the mix and maybe this is what is happening(?).

Unless I am missing something someone else could see? Don't know, but for the immediate future, unless he is blue or digesting, short periods of handling increasing in length and frequency as he is able to tolerate seem in order for him to adapt and adjust to being held.

Just my 2 cents!

Okay. Yeah, I do get why he would not enjoy being picked up, and how it would be scary. I've just thought it kind of goofy how 9 times out of 10, he is totally fine with it, and then all of a sudden, one day he's not. But hey, I don't know what his day's been like. I'm not in there 24/7, and I have no idea what he's thinking, so I do always try to respect his grumpy days, and either leave him be, or handle him for a very short period of time. Overall, I don't feel like 3 bites and one strike in two years is all that much. Especially considering the bites all happened in the first few months of him being here. He really is a sweet guy, and I hate to see him stressed. We have handled him regularly, so it's a little weird having to acclimate him all over again, but I guess if he is suddenly having new and different feelings, it would make sense. When he was really little, because he was flighty, I used to sometimes just put my hand in the tank, and talk to him soothingly to show him there was no danger. Maybe I should try that again, too. Tonight is feeding time, so hopefully he won't fight me too much. I'm kind of nervous about it now. I don't want to stress him. If he's acting nutty again, do you think I should just feed him in the tank? Or will that just be starting a bad habbit, or making things worse by changing something? I'm kind of torn, because I am afraid of making him regurge if it is just going to stress him out to move him to a separate container. My coddle instincts are kicking in! I wish I could make him feel better with hugs. Lol

I would feed him in a separate tub just like you've been doing. I really think you've done as much as someone can do and you're still monitoring him with this issue. Just be aware but not so aware that being careful makes you act too nervous! They can sense anxiety also!! I believe that the more calm YOU are, the calmer your snake will be!!

Good luck!!! I'm sure you'll be fine!

I would feed him in a separate tub just like you've been doing. I really think you've done as much as someone can do and you're still monitoring him with this issue. Just be aware but not so aware that being careful makes you act too nervous! They can sense anxiety also!! I believe that the more calm YOU are, the calmer your snake will be!!

Good luck!!! I'm sure you'll be fine!

^^This^^. I don't know anything about the behavior itself, but I recently had a 2 year old male start acting really weird too, so I can sympathize. I would suggest that you not change the way you do things too much. Keeping things regular will be *more likely* to help (if anything) than changing his routine. If something is actually wrong, he will do it again. I did make a point of handling my male more often, and found the more confidently I approach him, the less likely he is to spaz. To be honest my advise here stems more from my experience as a dog trainer (same techniques work on elephants, giraffes, dolphins, chickens, cats, mice, etc. I suspect they would work on snakes too, to whatever extent snakes are able to learn.)

Double check your temperatures, etc. Use a temp gun if you can, in case your thermostat/heat mat/thermometer are misbehaving. But if all husbandry aspects are good and none of that has changed, I would not treat him any differently, just observe. Hopefully the behavior goes back to normal after breeding season ends (when is that, by the way???). If not, I'm also at a loss.

Well, I got him out to feed him, and he was perfectly fine. As soon as I opened the enclosure, he stuck his head out of his hide like, "Hey, it's you!" I started talking to him, because I'm weird, and I always talk to my snakes, and when I put my hand down, he didn't even flinch. I lifted his hide, and he just sat there, watching. Then I scooped him up, and told him it was time to eat. He wasn't exactly thrilled to go into his feeding tub, as he wanted to explore, but he also didn't fight me on it. He ate like a champ, as usual, and when I put him back, he wanted to stay on me, and not go back home. I don't know if it was just a fluke, and maybe something scared him, or maybe it is a hormonal thing, but I'm glad he was his usual charming self today. Silly snake.

Back