• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Should i be worried?

ken347

Corn Addict In Training
I got my male snow corn a few weeks ago he ate before he left the store and he digested just fine I tried feeding last week but then realized he was in shed so he shed perfectly so i tried feeding him again today but he still refuses he runs around his feeding cage as the mouse lays in the corner( the store said he only feeds live) I've tried feeding live I've tried dead I've tried making the mouse bleed everything he just ignores it. He runs around his cage all DAY if i try touching him to move him to the feeding cage he does a tail rattle. Should I be worried that he refuses to eat? He's healthy he is active but just won't eat

Have you tried leaving him with dead (not live) food, overnight? Sometimes they need absolutely quiet and dark before they feel secure enough to eat, especially as new arrivals.

How old is he? How big is he if you're not sure of age?

If he's not an adult then the info below won't mean much but here it is anyway ...

Adult or Near-Adult males exhibit a "spring-fever" this time of year that often includes not feeding, increased activity (cruising around looking for a mate), and general attitude.

The hunger-strike can go from a few weeks to upwards of a couple of months, depending on the snake. As long as he's not losing much weight, it's not usually an issue.

However, being new to you -- and apparently having been fed live rather than F/T -- you may have issues on getting him started feeding again.

I would try to feed (either by tong-held or drop in feeding box, depending on how you intend to feed), a F/T mouse of appropriate size, once every ten days or so until he feeds -- or until he starts losing a noticable amount of weight. If he's not interested then try again in another 10 days or so (with a new mouse - don't re-freeze). I would also try transferring him to a feeding box unless you're planning on permanently feeding in his tub/viv [I don't, but others do, so it's a personal choice].

He's about 4 and a half feet but hasn't filled out yet so I'd say about 2 years old. I've tried everything with feeding and i hope if it is spring fever that he will be over it soon cause he hasn't even ate since I had him. I will probably feed live and gradually switch him to pre killed then f/t

Well I won't even attempt to get into the whole Live, P/K, F/T debate.

There's more than enough hundred-plus page threads out there.

However, if it's only been a few weeks, it's far too early to begin worrying.

Even younglings can go for quite a bit longer than that without issues.

At 4+ feet in length, then yeah he's probably old enough for it to be "mate-hunting hunger-strike", especially if he's being more active than usual too.

I've seen the whole debate and read many of the, that's why I plan on switching him to f/t but I don't wanna just suddenly switch to f/t that's like eating at a restaurant all your life than suddenly eating TV dinners. I rather make the change gradual this way his system and his mind will be ready for it.
But hes gong all over the cage including climbing on his tree and laying on too of it which he's never done also he's stretching his body out and putting JUST his head in the ground which I find funny but if hes looking for a mate down there then he will be very dissapointed

Oh and Bitsy's suggestion of leaving a F/T mouse in his tub/viv overnight is also a good one for reluctant feeders.

Just don't ever leave live prey with them unattended like that, nor leave dead prey longer than overnight.

I would never leave a live mouse with a snake I've seen in person what can happen when a mouse bites when a friend left his snake with a mouse. I tried feeding my snake today and since he wouldn't eat it and didn't even touch it I gave it to my brothers python since he refuses to feed anything but live

Try leaving him overnight with f/t. He may eat it.
If not, just wait a week and try feeding him again. (live or f/t).

Don't worry too much... An adult corn can go many months without food.

Just keep offering weekly.

Sounds like he looking to mate. I've got a couple boy's acting same way. Don't worry about him not eating. Mine have gone couple months without eating in the past an are fine. Just have to wait them out. I keep trying to feed mine when I feed my other snakes an one day they just decide to eat again.

Back