• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Should i be worried?

MaddyAnne6688

I got lena a week ago and feeding day was yesterday. She evidently eats two pinkies every friday. So i put two thawed pinkies in her tank all she did was smell them and then she crawled right over them and burrowed. I thought maybe it was because i was there and i decided to leave her be and check on her in the morning. I looked this morning and she was curled up next to them :(

Should i be worried? Should i take her to the vet? Should i try live pinkies? A women i worked for had two ball pythons that were housed together and they wouldn't eat when the were separated. Lena was housed with two other corn snakes. Could the absence of another snake and being in a new tank be to much of a change to her environment?

Did you have them pretty warm? I know some snakes can be pretty picky about the temperature of their meal and refuse if they aren't hot enough. I luckily haven't run into any feeding problems with Severus, so I don't know off hand which ways work best, but there are a bunch of threads that talk about other things you can try to entice your snake (such as braining and scenting). You could always try wiggling it around in front of her with tweezers too. Severus loves to strike :)

How are your cage temps? What are you using for your heat source for the warm side of the tank? Did she eat in her tank previously or did she have a separate feeding bin? And don't worry about there not being any other snakes in the tank with her. She's better off being alone. I don't know if there's anything else going on, but it doesn't sound like she needs to go to the vet at this time. Sometimes they just take longer to adjust to new homes and can refuse eating right away. Give her a few days before you try again. I've read that it isn't good to try repeatedly day after day if they refused a meal. Just take it slow so she doesn't get stressed out.

Oh...and try other methods first before resorting to feeding live prey. It can be dangerous for the snake once they need larger prey and your snake could possibly be harmed by a mouse trying to defend itself. Not worth it if you ask me.

I grew up in your neck of the woods!

Anyway I wouldn't worry yet. Even baby snakes can go a long time without eating. I would wait 3-4 days then try again with some of the above tips. Make sure your temperatures are where they should be and leave her alone during that time. She may just be continuing to settle in.

The warm side of the tank is 84f and the cool side is 72f and I'm using a heating pad and a light i think. i think she ate in tank.

I think she could be heading into a shedding cycle. Even babies will go off feed during that time.

How are you measuring your temps? I would think that a heating pad plus a light would be cooking her.
I would try feeding her in a deli cup next time, so she can focus on eating.

Back