• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Should I be Worried ?

Plums

Last night I did a full clean out in my two viv's. In one of them i noticed 2 x tiny tiny light grey coloured mites amoungst the Aspen. In the other viv there was no trace of the things, but I quickly inspected the boys to see if I could find anything on them. There was no sign of them on the snakes but im a bit worried about having these things in the viv..

could they of come from the Aspen ?

Should I be worried? :shrugs:

thanks

They could just be little bugs in your viv that aren't related to the snakes, but on the other hand they could be harmful to your snakes if they are actual mites. Look carefully around the snake's eyes, and I've heard mites also like to lurk under the snake's chin. I'd keep an eye on the snakes, and make sure their tanks are really clean.

thanks for responding..No, I examined them thoroughly, all around the eyes, belly and back & nothing...

what colour are snake mites ?

I believe they are black, but for all I know there may be different types of mite... I just think they are 'usually' black. Some research may be in order.

have just looked it up & it says when they are young they are whitish in colour, but can hardly be seen by the naked eye... I would say the greyish 2 i saw were about 1 millimeter..

Thanks so much, I am going to get some diemite tonight at my local shop, heard it is good, may not be anything to worry about but i'd best do it to be on safe side..

thanks allot :cheers:

You're welcome, I hope it isn't a serious problem and you can clear up the mites if they are present. Good luck!

also, you might want to put new bedding in the freezer for 24 hrs. before using. This will kill any mites that are in it. :wavey:

All logs / hides have had 2 hours in the oven now, also taken out the aspen & put down newspaper, (will the ink on the paper be ok ????)

also ordered Diemite which is coming today..

thanks

The newsprint should be fine, but you could use plain white kitchen roll instead. It would be more absorbent and could show up any mites easier

cool idea..I feel a bit sorry for them as they both like to burrow & they look a bit like "Mommy, wheres my comfortable bedding gone??!!"

Im sure i just worry too much !

cheers

aw, shame, but at least you spotted the problem and dealt with it! I used itchen roll for mine at first, and they burrowed between the layers. You could maybe just put extra cardboard tube hides in too, to minimise stress?

Back