• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Should I breed mice?

zombieinvasiontm

I already have all the info on it, but I was wondering what ya'll think about it.

Gerard eats a pink or two every 4 days and Bitti eats 1-2 fuzzies every 4 days.

So basically my moms buying over 20 mice a month and I told her breeding is less costly.
what do you think?

[I apologize for my inarticulate post, but I'm tired and I don't have time for all the grammar jazz]

I know that what you say is probably true, but if you're going to try to sell your mother on that, you'll need to prepare for other arguments she will possibly have. For one, you can probably expect her to say something about the smell being an issue. Hopefully, you are very quick about cleaning after your snakes, because you can remind her of that, and assure that it will be the same with the mice. If that's not the case, she's likely to be unmoved.. Also consider offering to keep them in the garage maybe?

Best of luck to you!

I know that what you say is probably true, but if you're going to try to sell your mother on that, you'll need to prepare for other arguments she will possibly have. For one, you can probably expect her to say something about the smell being an issue. Hopefully, you are very quick about cleaning after your snakes, because you can remind her of that, and assure that it will be the same with the mice. If that's not the case, she's likely to be unmoved.. Also consider offering to keep them in the garage maybe?

Best of luck to you!

I've kept mice before, and she knows I can take care of them
She's already said yes, it's just my dad I have to convince.
He says it's hazardous to our health if we brain the mice and then put them in the freezer instead of him buying already frozen mice.

He's horrible at trying to prove his point.

OK, I had the same idea but my mom is very strict about me not having feeder mice... Here are some of the statements she had.....

They might get out and ruin the house...

They will smell...

possibly noise...

to much work for a little child...:angry01:

and so on... I would make sure you now how to answer questions like these...

ps. Could I really breed mice in a garage???? Will it get to cold? Can I buy a heater? And would I need a light?

Hope I helped

OK, I had the same idea but my mom is very strict about me not having feeder mice... Here are some of the statements she had.....

They might get out and ruin the house...

They will smell...

possibly noise...

to much work for a little child...:angry01:

and so on... I would make sure you now how to answer questions like these...

ps. Could I really breed mice in a garage???? Will it get to cold? Can I buy a heater? And would I need a light?

Hope I helped

It's not rocket science. I've been taking care of mice since I was 9[on and off, but never breeding before]
So it's not "too much work for a little child"
They won't get out if you make sure you have the lid on correctly
Possible noise? If you keep them in your room she won't have to hear them, and it's not like a dog. Just little squeaks here and there.
No continuous loud noise.
and lastly, it won't smell if you clean it out 1 to 2 times a week.

The garage is a bad idea.
no ventilation, bugs, extreme temps.
just all around bad.

It's not very hard. I used to breed mice when I was 12- though I just sold weaned mice to the petstore for the supplies to continue keeping them, they weren't feeders for me.
I think you could breed them in the garage if you raise them off the ground and give them plenty of warm materials to make nests in. Wild mice happily infest garages if they can find food there, all over the nation. Remember, they are warm blooded, so if they have a shredded towel and each other to cuddle, they'd be fine in the cold. As for the heat, well you may need to provide more water..

RE: your dad's worry about sanitation, get yourself a tupperware that you would keep them in, as well as a second tupperware that the first will fit in, and put a bag of frozen mice into them. Let him inspect it visually and maybe he can be won over.
Maybe you can even check the pennysaver or whatever for a small freezer someone is getting rid of cheap, and get it just for the mice..

If your dad saw conditions in most commercial slaughterhouses.........
You could also get boxes of disposable gloves to use whilst culling the mice? Sounds like you're sensible enough to get around his objections if you've successfully kept mice before.
Pinks you don't have to do anything but bag and fast freeze, they die very quickly without the heat from their mother.
With peach and fuzzies a quite gentle 'flick' kills them, you don't make much, if any mess.
For older mice most people use co2, but I use cervical dislocation, which again doesn't make a mess.

Back