• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Should I change Substrate

BobM

I recently got a baby corn about 3 weeks ago and set up its vivarium with bark bedding i bought from the pet store. At first the snake preferred to hang out above the substrate. However, lately it seems it spends all its time burrowing except for at night. I know this is normal behavior so I blew it off at first as being no big deal. My roommate, who previously owned 3 snakes, brought up an interesting point the other day. Almost everytime I have gone to feed it or handle it, I end up having to dig through the bark chips for it. My roommate thought that from a cornsnakes perspective it would feel as if a predator were searching for it and cause it to freak out.

So the question I have is whether or not I should change its bedding back to the reptiliner astroturf(which is what it wask kept in at the pet store) to prevent extra stress when I handle it, or is keeping the option of burrowing open to it more important to keeping my corn snake at ease?

By the way, my roommate also is a very strong advocate of handling snakes as often as possible when they're young and by different people too, which is kinda convenient considering he is "different people" and he wants to handle it "as often as possible" Should I take his advice or keep the handling just to myself atleast until it grows a little bigger and more comfortable with being handled.

BobM said:
By the way, my roommate also is a very strong advocate of handling snakes as often as possible when they're young and by different people too, which is kinda convenient considering he is "different people" and he wants to handle it "as often as possible"
LOL

My favorite substrate is aspen, but it's just a fact that they love to burrow. I don't know of any reason to change the substrate, but you want to make sure that you never feed your snake in there with any substrate that can be ingested, especially bark. Always take the little guy out and feed him in an empty container with air holes.

As for the handling, it is good to handle them and get them used to being held while they are young. Just make sure that whoever does the holding knows what they are doing. Allow him to "crawl" over your hands and explore without grasping them too firmly. As for frequency of holding, I am going to leave that for someone else to answer.

If your snake is burrowing, presumably it wants to burrow and feels safe under there. I believe that corns should be kept on something which allows them to burrow, but that's just a personal preference. So long as you go through the bedding carefully, I shouldn't think it would be any more stressful than being pulled out of a hide (not saying that isn't stressful mind you.) Again, just an opinion. :)

All my snakes love to burrow. I use shredded aspen because it is easy for them to move through.

As for the handling, I disagree with your roommate. I think young snakes can be handled once a day, but I'd limit it to that. Also, I'd wait for it to get older for different people to hold it. I think that at first, only you should handle it. As it gets more used to being handled, your roommate can also hold it. But I wouldn't let a lot of different people hold him for at least the first year. But that's just me.

I think its really cool to see the tunnels my corn digs in his aspen, but I usually never see him burrowing because he prefers to hang out in his moist hide 90% of the time. Maybe try getting some new hides (or make a moist hide) and he might find something he like to hide in more than burrowing. As for the handling, with my hatchling's schedule I really don't have to opportunity to handle him very often (2-3 days a week at most) until they get older I thing its more about keeping them healthy and eating rather than the amount they get handled. But this is all just my opinion, I'm no expert ;)

I'm with Dogstar on the 'less is more' approch to handling hatchlings. I think your roomate is just trying to handle your snake instead of getting their own one.
The burrowing is also much better for a less-stressed baby than not being able to hide i m o

well that's good to know. Thanks a lot for the advice guys. You just saved me from going out and wasting money on reptiliner that i don't need.

:cheers:

plus i wanna add about the liner it gets bad when the pass their food, they can only be cleaned a couple times before you have to get another one

i use shredded aspen as well, Sid likes to burrow in his aspen bedding. The woman that we bought him from had him on pine/cedar sawdust bedding :eek1:
We changed that the very next day and got aspen bedding. :)

sid the snake said:
i use shredded aspen as well, Sid likes to burrow in his aspen bedding. The woman that we bought him from had him on pine/cedar sawdust bedding :eek1:
We changed that the very next day and got aspen bedding. :)
Good move. :idea: :)

Back