• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Should I feed her another?

Snek

We've had our new snake three days now. We fed her a pinky on day 2, and it was smaller than her girth. I've read in lots of places that food should ideally be about 1.5x the snake's girth, except for the first feeding in a new home... to make sure they can digest properly.

When should I feed her again? Normally I would offer twice a week, but the pinky we gave her was exceptionally small for her, and I haven't seen any poop. But then, we're using loose substrate so it'd be a bit difficult to find anyway.

Usually it's advised to let a new snake adjust to its new home for a week before feeding or handling. I would not feed again so soon. A healthy snake can go quite a long time between feedings so wait a week and then offer an appropriately sized meal. Which is 1.5 times the widest part of the snake, until it reaches adult sized mice.

I would just wait till her normal feeding day. For babies I feed every 5 days. I would totally leave her alone while she settles in. Personally I would not have fed until I had her for a week, but what is done is done. You just want to minimize stress to avoid a regurgitation.

I would wait at least 5 days before feeding again. A smaller first meal at home meal is actually better in my experience. So I wouldn't worry about it.

We fed her because my fiance bought pinkies, and stupidly forgot to wash his hands, and she made a move at his finger. She didn't strike, but she sniffed his finger and really slowly started to open her mouth like she was going to eat his fingertip. So he figured she might have been hungry.

I told him it doesn't work that way necessarily, but she's been pretty calm overall so far.

Back