• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Showing off and hoping for suggestions!

Indigo

I finally brought home my favorite corn snake from work today! So I thought first of all I'd show him off (sorry the pictures are a bit blurry):

snaketank.jpg

His big new home (not the most attractive, with the heat rope all over, but I still like it).

mysnake1.jpg

My little friend!

mysnake2.jpg

...From a different angle.

mysnake3.jpg

...And through the lid.

He's rather nervous now, but I hope he'll settle in well! He really needs a name. Any suggestions?

[x-posted to the cornsnakes livejournal group]

I'd suggest you put a few more hides in there. It will make him feel more secure. It his size, toilet paper rolls work very well.

I believe the "Heat Rope" would be better utilized by being placed on one half of the bottom of the viv. That way it would produce a better heat gradient (one end warm - one end cooler) Just a suggestion.
Jay & PJ :cool:

Last edited:
Right now I've got most of the heat cable underneath the tank... Very loosely looped under the cool end, and closer under the warm end. I just had more than I needed, so I taped the rest up on the walls.

Indigo said:
Right now I've got most of the heat cable underneath the tank... Very loosely looped under the cool end, and closer under the warm end. I just had more than I needed, so I taped the rest up on the walls.
I too would suggest what PJCReptiles suggested. With the heat tape everywhere, you're not giving your animal anywhere to cool off, he can only go from warm to warmer. Wrap it tightly on 1/3rd of the bottom and let the rest hang down if there's left over. Better to let it hang then over heat your animal. I would also suggest a dimmer switch and a digital thermometer to regulate the warm side to keep in the mid 80's. Also as suggested above, add hides.:)

Thanks, I'll do that! I added a couple of hides already, and after I turned the light off he immediately started exploring... And within ten minutes, he learned how to get up to the top rim of the tank. The lid is tightly clamped down, though, so I'm pretty sure he won't get out.

Good! You're one of those people that listens to other people!

I say name him.... Mikey. Yes. Sexyness right there. Ooooh! Or Adam. Or Zack. Or.... Mossimo.

You also might want to remove the tape that's inside the viv. Tape and snakes are not a good combination. The tape starts to peel off and the snake can get caught up in it.

i would of thought that was way to big for him, i was led to believe snakes should have a smaller viv/tank/container as big open areas cause possible stress to them, if i was you i would put a divider in the middle and let him slowy grow into the tank, and you need more hides and substrate and more foilage asap, other than that very nice lol.

Back