• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sick Corn

austringer

One of my large 9 year old male corns has developed a swelling of the mouth. I thought it was mouth rot at first and treated with flagil, but I am not getting any results and getting worse. Can someone please e-mail me and I will send picture attached and maybe someone can tell me what this is. Note the snake ate a small mouse even though the mouth is this bad.

Thank you

Ed

If it were me I would have taken the snake to a vet before attempting to treat it myself.
Anyway, as a forum is not really a vet replacement I think a vet visit is in order now....

Vet Issues

starsevol said:
If it were me I would have taken the snake to a vet before attempting to treat it myself.
Anyway, as a forum is not really a vet replacement I think a vet visit is in order now....

My friend where I live all the Vets have zero knowledge about reptiles. Furthermore, I worked at a Vet hospital here and know they could not help me. I have treated my own reptiles for 30 years, plus I am a license falconer, therefore I must treat my own birds and all other animals on the farm. If I can not treat it and the animal is not that expensive, or exotic, then euthanasia may be in order. I must manage with what I have and be realistic about the options. I turned to the forum today in hopes someone could refresh my mind what this might be and treatment. This is the first time I have seen this in a corn and I have raised corns for 35 years. I understand Flagyl (Metronidazone) may not have been the best/proper choice, but tried it, nothing really to lose at this point.

Thanks

Corny Noob said:
Oh my god, get that snake to an emergency vet now!

People lets be practical and reasonable about this. If you read my previous post, a Vet that knows what to do in this case maybe 300 miles round trip for me, NOT an option! Assume I were in a third world country. I am looking for someone with advice on the subject not a bunch of animal lover PETA people bashing me, please, lets keep this thread in perspective. I understand your concerns and do care about the animal, but this has flared-up over night.

Thanks

You posted that other post as I was posting get the snake to the vet.

And if getting your sick animals to a vet isn't a practical option...well maybe you shouldn't be keeping animals if you can't get them somewhere for their health in emergencies. :shrugs:

Let's keep this thread on the issue at hand or I'll lock it down!
The guy has asked for help, did not ask to be judged. The vet issue is apparently out of the question, so let it go.
Wish I could help you out, but I've never seen anything quite like that before?

Unbelievable Responses

Corny Noob said:
You posted that other post as I was posting get the snake to the vet.

And if getting your sick animals to a vet isn't a practical option...well maybe you shouldn't be keeping animals if you can't get them somewhere for their health in emergencies. :shrugs:

You are something else! You have no clue how many animals are put down at animal hospitals weekly, or have any clue what it takes to care for and be licensed in animal care. I have already sent out e-mails to veterinarians, and only thought posting here would bring some constructive posting, but its been the typical animal lover BS crap. You have probably only been into snakes for several years and have no clue what its like to have to put animals down, etc. I am now regretting posting here and apologize if I have offended anyone. I can see its best not to post certain issues publicly because of the lack of understanding among many. I have always said there are animal lovers and animal care takers, etc.. Animal lovers are driven totally by "emotion", not the practically of the issues, or a realistic approach. This thread could have been educational for many, but sadly, I will refrain from posting any further.

Thanks

mbdorfer said:
Let's keep this thread on the issue at hand or I'll lock it down!
The guy has asked for help, did not ask to be judged. The vet issue is apparently out of the question, so let it go.
Wish I could help you out, but I've never seen anything quite like that before?

Thank you!

Austringer, I hope you stay around as I'm sure someone here will be able to help you.

I'm new to this site, though I've read loads of posts and am surprised about the couple of replies you've had - I didn't think the people on here were judgemental. It makes you wary of posting queries :(

Good luck in finding a solution to your snake's problem

I honestly did not think I was being judgemental when I said what I would have done in the same situation.
I also wonder what is so wrong with being an "animal lover" or having the opinion that a person who cannot provide proper medical care for their animals probably should rethink having them. And for the record, I have kept snakes for 10 years and other animals all my life, and have had to have several put down. I don't know what the number of animals put down at veternarians OR what it takes to be licensed in animal care has to do with the issue at hand either.

That said, I am sorry your boy is ailing. I hope someone on here can help you. I have never seen anything like it myself, not even when my bts had mouthrot 13 years ago (he is 13.5 years old now). I hope whatever he has is not contagious (that would be MY biggest fear).

Beth

How quickly did the swelling grow? Is the corn still able to eat, is it still in good condition apart from the swelling? If it does not respond to any antibiotics then perhaps it would be best to consider euthanasia? If I had an animal that was not responding to treatment and was losing condition (and vet treatment wasn't an option) then I personally would be looking towards euthanasia in the situation you describe

Ouch! I've never seen anything like it so I'm not sure how much help I'd be. It almost looks as if it's a liquid filled blister (the best way I can think of to describe it). You said he still managed to get a small mouse down? Is the swelling on the top part of his mouth or the bottom part (I can't tell). Hopefully Rich or Kathy or one of the other bigger breeders will be able to chime in and hopefully share some insight. Keep us updated please!

~Katie

Pity that Connie is not around here any more.. I would be certain she could help ..

The ole' feller looks like he has a nasty growth as opposed to a blister or a cyst...

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Info

Zannah said:
Austringer, I hope you stay around as I'm sure someone here will be able to help you.

I'm new to this site, though I've read loads of posts and am surprised about the couple of replies you've had - I didn't think the people on here were judgemental. It makes you wary of posting queries :(

Good luck in finding a solution to your snake's problem

I appreciate the constructive responses and will let everyone know what the end result is. I am currently online with some top reptile vets and they seem to suspect abscess injury of some kind to the mouth. I will be draining the abscess currently and applying iodine solution, plus antibiotics. The snake has eaten even with this large abscess, therefore, not likely an infection I am told. I will post later to see what happens, my only worry at this point is that the animal can handle the shock of treatment well. Although, I understand that is part for the course and will accept whatever happens.

Thank you all.

Ed

Hope all goes well for you. Would you be willing to update on the progress? I'm sure this would be real help to anyone else who has a similar situation

diamondlil said:
Hope all goes well for you. Would you be willing to update on the progress? I'm sure this would be real help to anyone else who has a similar situation

Please do follow up with us on what happens. Your experiences will do much to help others who encounter the same problem.

TandJ said:
Pity that Connie is not around here any more.. I would be certain she could help ..

The ole' feller looks like he has a nasty growth as opposed to a blister or a cyst...

Regards.. Tim of T and J

Currently e-mailing back and forth with Connie and others. I suspect the snake will not be able to recover from the trauma after lacing the abscesses. We shall see what happens. Here is a another photograph.

Ed

Attachments

• Corn2.jpg
    Corn2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 72
Back