• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sick snake?

ucaqt

I just adopted a corn from someone who could not, or would not care for it. It has not been sexed but I will refer to it as male. He is about 40 " long and 3 1/2" girth. He is in a 29 gal terr. on newspaper, quarantined from my collection. He obviously hasn't been handled much has he is flighty and always stiff. His temps are currently 84 on the warm and 75 on the cool side. I have only had him 2 days, only handled him upon examination when I recieved him. My concern is this: His mouth doesn't seem to close all the way. Not just in the front but all the way around. It opens even more when he flicks his tounge. I was in the room with him studing and I heard a "cough" type sound. It was him. Was repeated 3 times and then stopped. His mouth looks clear despite not closing. He also drank way more than I have ever seen a snake drink. 30-40 seconds at a time 4-5 times in a row. He had a bowel movement that was very dry and powdery. He has an appointment with the vet this week for probing and general exam, just wanted to go in with some ideas of what could be wrong. Any ideas?

is there mucus in/around his mouth and/or nostrils, if he does its most likely a resperation infection or some other respitory prob. and if he's drinking like that he was probly dehydrated. if it continues for like the next 2-3days bring him to the vet, hopefuly it wont be too late. hope i helped good luck ;)

Sound like a R/I to me, and maybee a little mouth rot (not definate about that), ask the vet to do a full check up he may inject with antibiots to give him a general boost, and to help with, what sounds like a R/I to me.

I was thinking that it could be a resp infection, but had no experience with it and could not know for sure. He came out of his hide last night and was exploring the glass, (looking for a way out), when I noticed some mucus on the glass, so this will confirm the thought of RI. As I stated earlier he is going to the vet. Thank you for your replies. On a side note, how contagious is this?

ucaqt said:
I was thinking that it could be a resp infection, but had no experience with it and could not know for sure. He came out of his hide last night and was exploring the glass, (looking for a way out), when I noticed some mucus on the glass, so this will confirm the thought of RI. As I stated earlier he is going to the vet. Thank you for your replies. On a side note, how contagious is this?

if i remember properly it is contagious but dont take my word for it, but if you house it with another snake i would quarantie it.

Definateley quarantine him till it's sorted and for a 4-5 week period after he is well again. I wouldn't want to risk others in my collection.

The vet will be able to sort it out with a quick slow release antibiotic in the mucell (sorry about spelling) which should clear it within a couple of weeks.

He is quarantined. And I use hand sanitizer in between handling all my snakes. I just worry a lot. I haven't handled him since I got him, so I guess I'll be fine. Thanks so much for the info.

Don't worry about it, your entitled to worry (no pun intended). Thats what people are here for :) . If we can help we will if we can't someone else can.

For the time being until you get him to the vet, I would raise your temps to about 90 to help fight the RI.

Good News. The vet said it is a very mild case right now. The mouth was clean and nose was clear. We probed and I have another female. The vet gave an injection of antibiotics and sent me home with some. I had raised the temp to 91 the day after I posted. She already sounds better. Yeah!!

nice, hope she recovers fast. and about how much does the vet charge to probe the snake or was it apart of the package?

He just included it. But it's the vet that i am doing my practicum for vet tech through, so i know him really well.

Back