• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sign that egss are close to hatching?

Werner

Corn Crazy !
Hi, just like to know, how do you know when the eggs are close to hatching? I got a clutch that are 50 days old, and this morning the one egg looks dented, and some are very soft? so not sure why?

Hi Werner!

Lovely to see another South African on the site!!! lol

Denting either means they are dehydrated or that they are going to start hatching soon, usually within next 0-10 days. The same with soft eggs. The shells usually go soft towards the end of incubation because the babies are absorbing all the "good stuff" from the shells. :)

Day 50 is a bit early for eggs to start showing signs of hatching...what temps are you incubating at?

Is this your first clutch? :) So exciting isn't it?

Hi velvet.

Thanks for your help.
This is my first clutch and is very exciting yes.
The temps are about 28c, and humidity about 85%

i just want to make sure, coz i dont want to come this far and then lose them.

I will spray the vermiculite a bit hopefully the egg will go back to normal.

Hi Werner.

With that kind of humidity and considering the clutch is so far along, I HIGHLY doubt you have dehydration problems...I wouldn't bother wetting th vermiculite, unless it is REALLY bone dry...

The denting sounds like it is due to the eggs being close to hatching...this is perfectly normal and nothing to worry about. :) I doubt the egg will go back to "normal" anyway.. :)

My clutch is denting at the moment and they are in perfectly moist vermiculite! lol :) They are 61 days old now. :)

Another trick - I learned this from Kathy Love and Connie Hurley.

When eggs are close to pipping, they give off a scent that's VERY reminiscent of freshly cut green bell peppers.

I know it sounds weird, but you'd be amazed.

Dale

Hi Meg, hope everything go's well, I attached pics of the parents.
Oh yes and congrats with you clutch aswell. hehe its all so exciting :)

Attachments

• 057.JPG
    057.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 91
oh you are going to have beautiful babies I'm sure. Congrats and hope to see some pipping pictures soon.

Another trick - I learned this from Kathy Love and Connie Hurley.

When eggs are close to pipping, they give off a scent that's VERY reminiscent of freshly cut green bell peppers.

I know it sounds weird, but you'd be amazed.

Dale
Odd but true, the hatchlings give off that scent too!

Back