• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Silly questions...

Feral

Well, I've been reading up on breeding and the genetics involved. I absolutely loved biology in school, so it's all really fascinating to me. It's been a while since any classes though, so I have some brushing up to do. But I figured, it doesn't hurt to read and toy around, maybe one day in the far future I could work on a project. -shrugs-
Anyway. I asked the person I got the snake from today what the parents were, but when I used the corncalc.com I didn't get any of the snakes he got. So, I donnu if I'm just unable to figure out how to put it in correctly.
Of course, I know the snow is anery and amel, but he could have hets right?

He told me the parents were blizzard het anery, butter and opal motley het anery, butter

The other snakes he got out of the clutch was amels.

Thanks for reading through...the possible confusion. XD

A blizzard (charcoal+amel) het for anery and caramel to an opal (amel + lavender) motley het anery and caramel would make snakes with an amel base at least. Every baby will be homozygous for amel.

There should also be snows, butters, and caramel snows all of which will be het charcoal lavender motley.

What were all of the snakes he got from the clutch? Just amels? That's the only gene expressed in the homozygous form in both parents, thus all of the offspring would have to be, at the very least, amel.

Amel Charcoal het Anery Caramel X Lavender Amel Motley het Anery Caramel.

Out of that pairing, he should have gotten Amels, Butters, Snows, and Caramel Snows.

EDIT: Dangit. Megan sniped while I was still typing. Lol

I'm not sure of -all- of them he got. I know when I got my snow, there was only amels and the snows left over.

What he potentially could have gotten in the clutch doesn't always match what he did get in the clutch. The odds are for each individual egg, not for what we all hope for, the entire clutch as a whole. Just because the odds of getting a butter was 3/16 and there were 16 eggs in the clutch doesn't often mean 3 butters are automatically going to hatch out. It's always a gamble with each and every egg. Sometimes we get very lucky and that 1 in 64 morph combo hatches out in the remaining one egg of a clutch that went bad. Sometimes we get skunked so badly it rolls over into the next couple of years and we end up doubting the entire genetic make-up of the parents that we produced ourselves from known lineages, swearing someone switched hatchlings at birth and what we've been breeding these past 3-4 years have no hets what so ever.

Would love to see pics of your newest addition if you have not already posted them in another section. Genetics can be tough. The corn snake morph guide and genetics for herpers are two great resources available now in digital form - these may help explain it a little better. http://cornguide.com/?ref=KathyLove

Susan;
Yeah, I know. He could have gotten all smels and snows and nothing else. I was just a bit confused about the corncalc, because when I put the parents in the first few times I didn't get amel or snows on the list at all. I'm still not sure what I did wrong, because now I get the list everyone else does.
And I know my little guy isn't a for sure thing either, it's not completely important to me. Just interesting. :3

Buzzard;
I'll be taking some pictures today. I haven't had the chance for photos since I got him. Didn't want to handle him too much in the beginning, but I'll be posting it up soon.

Back