• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Six Months Without Food.!!!

WAS1

Every year I have the same problem with my male Anery.
From January for about 12-14 weeks he just refuses to eat, as he patrols up and down his enclosure looking for a mate.
This year tho he has now gone 6 months without eating, and is showing no interest in food at all.
Altho hes not looking overly thin i`m starting to worry that 6 months without nutrition is going to take its toll.
Anybody else had the same problem, and what do you to get him to eat again?
Any advise would be welcome.

in my book i got with my snake it says if it wont eat for ages get ur snake and just push the mouse agaist its mouth but not hard obviously and ur snake should grap it then just put it in its tank and leave it be and it should eat the rest itself ,not sure if it works thou. it might just make your snake angry or maybe even choke or somthing i dunno

There has been more than one person here who've had snakes go off food for 6 months, so I don't think it's really unusual. As long as he seems healthy and not too thin, I wouldn't worry too much. I was advised not to offer food too often. Maybe every 2 weeks instead of every week, and mine suddenly started in one day! If you want, you can try piercing the belly or the brain and putting some of the guts or brain on the head. Sounds disgusting, but it did trigger feeding in my male when he wasn't too interested. I'm sure yours will eat soon.

I have one boy that goes off feed all through the period of time the girls are putting out feremones. And I have two girls that I have the hardest time to get to eat after they lay their eggs. I have found it works best to put them into a small container that they just fit around in it with the prey and leave them overnight. It is normally gone by morning. A large margerine container or cool whip type or something like that, but make sure you put holes in the side and cover. Also, if the snake is a bigger one, put masking tape on it to hold the cover on as they can push the cover off. I always put them into their viv inside the container just in case they do happen to get out of it. Also, as Meg suggested, you can cut the head open a little to expose the brain matter as well as putting them into the container.

I am sure that the snake will be fine for a little while longer even but I understand your concern. Good luck.

I'm amazed at how well they really do. My male lost 60 grams during the 3 months he wouldn't eat, and he seemed just fine. He was my best eater to start with and he's back to being my best eater again. Maybe they know they'll be off food for a while and eat accordingly. He's also my largest snake at almost 4 feet. Just wait until he's actually an adult!! He's not even 2 yet :)

Back