• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Size of Pinkie

Sabine66

Hello everyone: I am new here. We got an Amel Corn Snake (11 mo) two weeks ago at a Reptile Expo. She is wonderful and very calm. We totally fell in love with her. (My daughter, 9, wanted her). If I would have know, how great snakes are, we would have had one a long time ago!
My breeder said, he is feeding fuzzies (How do they look like??) and I think I gotten Pinkies (from the table selling mice). I had shown the snake and they had given me the frozen mice. They just seem big to me. I measured, and they are about 1 1/2 inch. long! Isn't that a big pinkie? SHe had two feeding so far and it went well. The mouse is bigger than the biggest part of her body, it seems right. But I read that at that age she should eat at least 2 pinkies or a fuzzy. Now I am not sure what I really have here (Pink or fuzzy). It just seems like to be a big, big pinkie. What do you think?
Thanks in advance!

There isn't much of a size difference between large pinkies and small fuzzies. Rule of thumb: Fuzzies have fuzz. :)

Thanks for your help! I have a Pinkie then! (Naked). Would onepinkie be enough for should I try offering two of these big pinkies at the next feeding?

If there isn't much of a lump try two. The sooner you get your snake to eat larger prey items, the sooner they will get started growing and developing into a truly beautiful animal.

Feeding two pinkies

Hi Gary,
thanks again. No, the lump is not really big. I will try two on Wednesday!
Sabine!

Eh, just wanted to jump in here......

An 11 month corn shouldn't still be on pinkies. You should try to get some fuzzies. You'd probably be surprised how big a meal a snake can handle without having a problem.

I've got a pair of 2004's that are around 19" that are both on small fuzzies.

Last edited:
I thinkthe extra calcium alone from going to fuzzies would be a real benefit to the snake. I am due for a step up in prey size too, as are my snakes, lol.

I think I will get some fuzzies then. I don't know, why I was sold pinkies. He saw the snake and should have sold me the 'right mouse'. Thanks for all the help! I will let you know, who everything went (Wednesday).

Our corn is also about 19 inches long. She is 1/2 inch 'thick'. (Biggest part). I went to the pet store, they did not have fuzzies... I will use two pinkies this week and will order some fuzzies for the next feeding.
I don't really know, how to post a photo...
Thanks for all the help!

Did feed a fuzzie yesterday

Thanks for all your help. I had ordered fuzzies the other day and yesterday was feeding day. It was true, the fuzzies are not that much bigger than my giant Pinkies. She did fine!

I can relate . . .

Sabine, you make me so glad I checked into what size feeders I should get BEFORE going to the expo. I don't want to have to rely on someone selling mice to tell me. LOL It sounds like your snake is only a little bigger than Monty (he's 16 1/2 inches long) and he's looking to be almost ready for fuzzies. I have this huge mutant pinky in my freezer tho . . . LOL

I'm glad everything went fine with the fuzzy tho!

Back