• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

size or corns

ricki1664

i have a cornsnake ive had it for about a year now what size do they grow to in length and girth. also he is about 2ft long and i have been feeding him pup rats is this ok and one time i was feeding him these twice a week and he was still hungry but ive kept him to 1 a week lately .i also keep him in a 2ft by 1ft tank is this ok.

They can grow 4 to 5 feet- very rarely reaching six feet. Corns can get quite husky, but not as much as a python or boa.

Hey

Yeah, that sounds all ok Ricki.

BTW im about to move my ball Python and mabey one of my corns on to rats. Did u have any difficalty changeing them from mice to rats???

Thanks

Alex

i changed from the pinkies to the pup rats is that wot u meant if so no i didnt have any troubles he loves them im looking at him at the moment and i only feed him saturday and he is prowling round the viv like he wants another 1 hes just a greedy b******d

I did not have any problem at all changing from a large mouse to small rat. I do not even think the snake noticed- rats and mice are pretty much the same animal anyways.

I recently changed from adult mice to weaned rats. The rats are slightly larger, however I agree with Mattsnake- I don’t think that the snake really notices the difference.
If they’re hungry, they’re gonna eat.
Rats also tend to meatier with less fur.

Actually my corn is more than big enough to take rats and "Hates" them she took 2 in her like in a row and never took anymore and stillf wont I would love it if she did, just thought I would throw that in.... ;)

Rats and mice just don't "taste" the same

Over the years I have had bunches of snakes that would eat three grown mice and not touch a small rat. I figure it's the scent, but it is a fairly common phenomenon, speaking to other herpers. Lots of corns will try to eat anything, but there will be those that have a very strong preference (read: rather go hungry than eat a rat).

ricki1664 said:
i changed from the pinkies to the pup rats is that wot u meant if so no i didnt have any troubles he loves them im looking at him at the moment and i only feed him saturday and he is prowling round the viv like he wants another 1 hes just a greedy b******d

Same situation here. My female 9 month old (just over two feet long) ate two large fuzzies last night. Biggest meal she's had so far (second one even had some supplement on the legs, Yeehaa! She's always refused 'doctored' mice before) and she was still patrolling for more for a good ten minutes.

When I tried switching over to rats...most of my snakes were OK with it. They even seems to be more agressive feeders! I had a milk snake that would only eat mouse fuzzies even though she was around 3 feet long. I tried rat pinks because they are about the sime size as the mouse fuzzies. Well, my milk snake LOVED them. Over the course of a couple of months, I have managed to move this snake up to weanling rats. She would NEVER touch an adult mouse, though!

I had some snakes, however, that refuse the rats. Unfortunately this makes it where I still have to buy mice, too. I was hoping to switch everyone over!

I have had the same thing happen with the color of the mice/rats as well. I have some snakes that will only take white food items...I've not figured that one out!

saying about being aggresive with pup rats when i fed him the other night and does this every now and then when i open the viv up he is there waiting and b4 i even put it down he snatches it out my hand is this good or bad i dont no if i keep hold of it he gets very aggresive and starts tugging at it its quite amusing..:p

Lol:D

BTW, its not a very good idea to feed your snakes in their vivs becasue if they get used to you feeding them in their vivs and they will bite you even when you have no food in your hand because they will think you will have food in your hand. I feed mine in small separate containers.

Thanks

Alex

Hey

My 2ft corn is on 1 med mouse a week
My 3ft corn is on 2 med mice a week
My Ball Python is on 2 med mice a week

what size rats shall I put them all on too???? (depending on which size snake)

Thanks

Alex

i dont think thats true about corns getting possive about there space coz ive been feeding him in his viv for a long while now and he hasnt bitten me once yet (touch wood)

lol, ok

Well I have heard that it sometimes happands but not always.
Its hard to feed them in separate when you hve like 10+ snake, but if you dont have that many its sometimes a good idea to feed them in a sepatate container.

Thanks

Alex

fair do m8 ive only got the 1 corn called jake... so its a bit easyer for me to feed in the viv . do u feed your 10 all at the same time then in the same container..?

Oh right

Well I only have 3 snakes at the moment and I feed them al in separate contianers but by January Iwill have another 4 corns so I will have 7 snakes in total and then mabey wll start to feed the smaller snakes in their vivs.

Thanks

Alex

Carolina Corn!

THANK YOU, ALEX DEW!!! This is the name that can be applied to "Okeetee" corns that aren't from the hunt club! It has so much a better ring than "normal" or "wild-type" (both suggest common or somehow less valuable) and can still be called "Carolinas" if cross-bred with non-locality snakes! I'm going to Fauna to get some more people angry. Thank you! :D ;) :)

i see ur from surrey alex nice place i used to live in Reading purley on thames i love the place better than crappy ol norwich.

Lol, thanks Ricki

Surrey is a nice place, but so is Norwich.
I live near Horsham and Dorking if you know it:D

Can anyone help me with this:

My 2ft corn is on 1 med mouse a week
My 3ft corn is on 2 med mice a week
My Ball Python is on 2 med mice a week

what size rats shall I put them all on too???? (depending on which size snake)

Thanks

Alex

Back