• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Size/type sterilite container for 2008s?

asymons

The Lab Rat
Hey guys! I looked through a thread search, but didn't find anything to answer my question...

I think I'm finally taking the step to expand my collection and buy a second corn snake (uh oh... I think we all know where it goes from here). However, rather than buying a second 10gal tank, I am wondering if I can convert to stackable sterilites to save space in my dorm as well as at home.

I don't need the enormous 66quart or whatnot adult-size sterilite since they are only 2008s, but I want to give them adequate room to move around, etc. I found a drawer-type 42qt (10gal) sterilite that seems as if it would give the babies adequate room-- it's about the same size as a 10gal tank, and it's cheap!

http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-31908/Detail

However, I'm wondering if other pet-keepers have turned to sterilites for their babies, and what the best alternative was?

I have a soldering iron to put small holes in the boxes myself, but obviously my two main concerns are heating (I prefer a lamp with a heating pad to get up to a good ambient temperature during the day, but of course with a sterilite I'd have to lose the lamp), and escapes! With the drawers I'd have to be careful or set up a "lock" for the drawers.

I did find the clearview stackables with locking tops, but I didn't like any of the sizes.

Well, that's about it. Any help is appreciated! :wavey:

-Ashley

I wouldn't use the drawer ones. I've looked at them and snakes would have no problem getting out and they would be hard to heat.

I use tubberware containers for my young snakes and Ball Python. With the containers you will only need a heat pad, but make sure you have a thermostat because it can get hot in there even with air hole if it isn't regulated.

I can't remember what size my containers are so I'm sorry I can't help you out there.

I'd recommend building a rack, or altering a storage shelf, bookshelf, or organizer of some kind to keep the snake in there, otherwise, he may be able to get out. It also makes it much easier to heat, and control temps.
I'd recommend a tub that shares a height and at least one other dimension with others in it's 'family', such as rubbermaid 2220 and 2221. Sterilite has a similar arrangement, if you get the right ones. They are sometimes known as 'sideways' racks, as when you upgrade their tub from the smaller to the bigger size, you can use the same rack, by using the bigger tub, and turning it sideways.
I second not using the drawer style, as the snakes can tangle themselves up in the works, and if you open the drawer (You won't see him.), you'll hurt the snake.
Here's a link to a AP 2220/2221 tub rack.
http://www.animalplastics.com/rubbermaid/2220.htm
Each drawer holds one 2220 or two 2221 tubs.
This style rack will hold snakes from hatchling to just under breeding size, but the tubs are a bit small for a 400+ gram snake, in my opinion. Still pretty versatile.
There's nothing wrong with having a rack with an empty spot or 2 in it, it's for 'future expansion'.

Back