• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Skull in viv

Vegas

I saw this kinda cool skull in some onlineshop (www.emp.de), I thought I'd ask if I can use this in the viv, I prolly can if I disinfect it right? what do I have to do? is the oven allright or do I need to buy some disinfectionliquid? :dancer: (P.S the dancersmiley is kindof out-of-place but I thought he looked really cool.) :crazy02:

EDIT: Anyone know some onlineshops that sell decoration for your viv? like cool little accesories? (skulls etc.)

810942.jpg

Hi Vegas, welcome to the forum! Sorry I can't help you with your request but I want to say hi to another corn-er in Sweden. I'm in Malmö Where are you? I'm trying to keep a track of all the Scandinavian cornsnake keepers on the forum.

I guess with the skull, it's cast plaster with a paint finish so water might damage it so I'm not sure what steps you should take do disinfect it. I personally like the more natural looking vivs that look like a little jungle (but hey, I'm not a teenager anymore!!) so I don't know what to advise there.

Here's a pic of my viv. Good luck with your new cornsnake, tell us more about him/her. If you have any questions, we'd all be glad to help.

mvh,
Adèle

Attachments

• viv.JPG
    viv.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 155
Is that a water wheel??? I must have one! I have to ask though... how on earth do you spot clean that thing?? Looks good though!

Thanks for the compliments!!

The thing on the left is a piece of bark which I found in the forrest (and yes I baked it!!) The photo's a bit dark but I'll take another soon. My boyfriend built the box and I did the interior design using styrofoam, expandable filler, tile mortar, plaster, lots of beige paint and a bucket of sand! The substrate is a thick layer of newspaper stickytaped down and then a big bag of beech chips over the top. If the snakes poop on the chips, I let it dry and pick it up with some toilet paper, it they poop on the 'sandstone' cliffs, I let it dry then pick up what I can and use a mini dustpan and brush to get the rest. They have a forrestbed tub to roll in for shedding time, a water bowl and a bunch of different plants (for looks and humidity), logs and stuff for deccor. The warm side is heated by a 100w lamp and the cooler side has a low wattage halogen just for light. Ventilation is achieved by having a high vent on one side and a low vent on the other and taking advantage of the convection created by the heat lamp. I think it's mostly lost on them, but I like to think they like it!

Really? It totally looks like a water wheel (sans water, of course). Very nice!!

Gary... lol Is that a strawberry... or my shoe? ;)

I got really glad when I saw 6 replies, however all but one was just offtopic on Princess viv, it's really nice I will admit but would you please answer my question? if not feel free to admire Princess viv a bit more... (yes I know I sound grumpy but I'm tired.) :madeuce:

Princess: Yeah it might damage the skull if I use some kindof strong disinfectionliquid, maybe the oven will do it.

Offtopic: I'm from Sweden/Gällivare, far far up north... about as long from you as possible. :)

Vegas said:
I saw this kinda cool skull in some onlineshop (www.emp.de), I thought I'd ask if I can use this in the viv, I prolly can if I disinfect it right? what do I have to do? is the oven allright or do I need to buy some disinfectionliquid? :dancer: (P.S the dancersmiley is kindof out-of-place but I thought he looked really cool.) :crazy02:

EDIT: Anyone know some onlineshops that sell decoration for your viv? like cool little accesories? (skulls etc.)

QUOTE]
I would think a bleach/water solution would be enough to clean it. Not 100% sure though. I've seen some cool things for viv's on Ebay

One thing crossed my mind, is it really necesarry to disinfect this? it's brandnew from the factory? just a wild shot I don't really know but... just a thought.
Baking it a minute or two will hopefully do it. If they don't maybe have some skull or some nice vivdecoration in the petshop I'm going to this weekend, then I'll just buy it there and then. :)

Vegas said:
I got really glad when I saw 6 replies, however all but one was just offtopic on Princess viv, it's really nice I will admit but would you please answer my question? if not feel free to admire Princess viv a bit more... (yes I know I sound grumpy but I'm tired.) :madeuce:

NAPTIME!

princess said:
I guess with the skull, it's cast plaster with a paint finish so water might damage it so I'm not sure what steps you should take do disinfect it. I personally like the more natural looking vivs that look like a little jungle (but hey, I'm not a teenager anymore!!) so I don't know what to advise there.

What she said. :nyah: No seriously, how you disinfect depends on the materials it's made with. If it's not so porus and never been (or more importantly left) outside, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Sweet looking skull, what's it made of? or is it a real skull from some poor vaccumcleanersalesman you previously lured down your basement. (j/k) :cheers:

I still haven't gotten the snake, I'm going out of town to get the viv next weekend, and I MIGHT pick him up at the same time, the breeder is located in the same area. Would be good to work out the viv first to have it going perfect when the snake arrives, but on the other hand would be great not to be having to go twice, it's quite far actually. :)

Sorry Vegas for hijacking your thread. It wasn't my intention at all, I just wanted to show you another option for viv interior design. Please accept my appologies,
Adèle

Hi Vegas - Each time I fill up Creeper's water dish, I clean her "furniture," with super hot water and mild detergent. At least once per month, I take everything out and clean the whole viv the same way, except I add a little bit of bleach. Hope this helps. I do the same with any new additions to her viv.

Attachments

• s Casa.jpg
    s Casa.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 50
Princess: No problem, the hi-jackers surrended relatively early so. :)

Creeper: Ok, do you change the bottomsubstract once a month too or?
I will probably do the same thing, clean the "furniture" when I change the water and spotclean some. What is that clawthingy you got in there? really cool looking, your whole viv is really nice looking. Do you use aspen as bedding?

I love... LOVE the claw.

To spot clean you inspect everything and search for poo. Substrate should be changed every 2-4 weeks (or longer - you'll never get the same answer), depending on what you use. Aspen needs to be replaced immediately if it gets wet. "Furniture" needs to be disinfected as required, or when you do a substrate change.

Creeper: Ok, do you change the bottomsubstract once a month too or?
I will probably do the same thing, clean the "furniture" when I change the water and spotclean some. What is that clawthingy you got in there? really cool looking, your whole viv is really nice looking. Do you use aspen as bedding?[/QUOTE]

Hi Vegas - Sorry for the late reply. Too much work, not enough play...

Yes, I clean the entire viv at least monthly, including the substrate. I use only aspen bedding. Creeper had respiratory problems with the other substrates.

The dragon claw came from Design Toscano(http://www.designtoscano.com). I bought two of them sometime back to hang a medieval looking sword. But I moved a couple of years ago and never hung the sword back up. So when I got Creeper, it seemed a really natural place to put one of the claws. Thanks for the compliment on Creeper's home. She seems to really like it. She's such a cool pet.

Back