• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Sleeps on the top of his climbing branch?

simpletenna

Is this normal? Just picked him up today and his tank did not have anything on which he could climb. Is he excited about being able to climb so he just stayed?
His temperatures are 70-73* on the cool side and 80-83* on the warm side.
The branch he is on is on the warm side.
The climbing branch is mirrored on the cool side too.
He has a hide on each side appropriately sided for him (Baby snake, small hide), but I'm not sure that he even knows about them.

He is super chill, loves to be held, shed yesterday, and ate a few days ago.

I hope he is just excited to be able to climb!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 89
So I have an update already...

He did not shed Sunday, he just shed now... The original owner confused my snake for the other... Good shed, his colors are awesome!

I wouldn't worry. While babies and corns in general tend to rest under cover, sometimes they rest in the open. He probably feels pretty secure in his leafy branch.

You want to get those temps up a bit, 85° is where the top of the substrate should be, so I would set the thermostat up a bit on the UTH.

Some of my corn snakes sleep on branches/fake trees. In my experience, some corn snakes are more arboreal than others. The same ones that sleep in trees spend more of their waking hours climbing on stuff in general compared to the ones that prefer to hide when they sleep.

Little Plissken slept more up in his fake vines than anywhere else. Nothing to really worry about. I'd personally be a little happy to know I have a more active and climby little thing.

One thing to be aware of is that climby snakes are at higher risk for escape. So be extra careful to make sure the lid/door of your tank is secure after you open it. I lost my favorite snake that way. He had a little crack at top and because he was always crawling around the top of his cage he found it and got out. Just something to think about.

Since he's just been moved to a new home, he's scared and doesn't know where to go to hide that will be safe. Whether this is his personality or jsut the first safe-ish spot he found remains to be seen. I don't think it is anything to be concerned about though.

85F should be what you are aiming for at the hottest part of the tank, and your snake can and most likely will burrow in the substrate. If you have it at 85F at the top of the substrate, depending on what sort of substrate you have and how thick it is, it could be 100F or more under the substrate.

I have my probe thing for the thermostat right on the bottom at 85* now ... I think he was scared and didn't know what was happening. He found both his hides and and loves hanging out everywhere. He seems very happy!

Back