• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

slow/not growing

bryansnake

I saw the other post and read through it, I got some ideas, but I figured I should post and see what people say. I've had my snake for 3 months and a week now, got her in april. Since I've had her, she's fed perfectly fine, except for one time when I'm 99% sure I left her temperatures fall too much and stressed her out. She went on regurge protocol, feed fine through that, even took her to a vet to be sure, he gave me some anti-parasitic just to be sure. Other then that, she eats well.

So here's the thing. It doesn't look like she's gaining any weight. She's been in the 8-11 gram range since I got her. She's eating 1 pinky every 5 days, from the last time I fed her, so every 3 days without food really. She looks to me like she's grown. She's 16 inches now, around 14/15 when I got her. But she's not putting on weight. She's also active and seems perfectly fine, just not gaining. Should I do anything?

Also, I never see her poop. I've tried bathing her, nothing comes out. I don't see anything in the viv. The one time I did, she poop/pee'd on my hand when I tried popping her, about a week after I got her. I worry she may be constipated, but she eats normally, and she's not gaining weight, so it can't be building up in her, or she'd be heavier.

Should I go back to the vet and get her looked at? Any advice would be appreciated.

oh, I forgot to mention, her temperatures are fine. 82-84 on the warm side, 70.5 cold side. I know it could be warmer, but it doesn't seem to bother her, she's very active. Mostly at dusk/night. But I know they're more nocturnal at this age/size.

If you really want to track her growth you need a scale that weighs in tenths of grams. I suggest My Weigh Triton T2 from Old Will Knot Scales.

Then, a snake, as a rule of thumb, gains about 1/3 the weight of the prey it is fed. So if you are feeding 2 gram pinks, the snake is gaining less than a gram each feeding, which won't show up on a normal scale.

Every five days is good. You can also cut small slits in the back, and even the sides, of the pink. Just through the skin. she will grow a lot more quickly, because she will digest better.

It's very hard to find poo from a snake that small- I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Once she gets on fuzzys you'll see her growth really take off.

Back