• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Small corns and large cages?

Dude123

How do small corns do in larger cages? I was planning on getting my first corn in a few weeks and was going to setup either a 20long or 30 gallon tank for him or her, but Ive heard that smaller snakes can have problems in larger cages. I plan on feeding in a seperate, smaller cage/containrer. If enough hides and decorations were provided, would the snake be comfortable in the larger tank?

thanks

my corn snake...

is young and about a foot in length and very thin. he was in a 10 gallon tank until yesterday when i upgraded to a 20 long. i believe that he was having some difficulties in the small tank because it was more difficult for me to control the heat. there was really only warmth in there, no cool side. i had leaves and a hide out for him and drift wood, but he was very inactive and rarely came out to explore. i would turn the light out at night or forget to turn it on in the morning and i'd go and look and he was out and about, chillin' like a villain on penicillin. he seems to be doing much better already in his new tank, he was hanging out on his vine this morning when i woke up. i definitely recommend you start with the 20 gallon tank. i don't see how it would cause issues for the little serpent.

ps- i feed norbert inside his terrarium, i am just careful. he does strike if he's a) hungry, b) about to shed or c) if i sneeze on him by accident. jk about c). he thinks my hand is food, no doubt, but i don't really worry about it, i usually wrap cloth around my hand when i want to take him out, he sees it and knows it's not food, he just slithers away, he doesn't strike. i've been bitten, it doesn't hurt, it's actually quite thrilling in fact. when he gets bigger i will have to feed him elsewhere, but for now it's all good in da hood.

Dude123,

I've heard some people argue that young corns need small enclosures to reduce their stress but I don't believe this. If it were true then baby corn snakes in the wild must be really stressed out 'cause the world is a rather big place, don't you think? ;) I do, however, believe that you have to meet their basic needs and that includes plenty of hides in a larger enclosure so that they have many choices for thermoregulation. As for what's really right or wrong only the snakes know, and they're not talking, so you can search the forum on the subject and read all the pros and cons for yourself. Good luck!

Cheers,
Jason

my little snow loves it roaming around his big viv;)
corns are ment to have allota room to explore

I've got a yearling corn in the 40-gallon viv below. This cage is has more floor space than most, since it is longer in depth, yet shorter in height than most.

He's been there for about 10 days now and seems to be quite happy with it...doesnt appear to be scared of anything...even when I am in there cleaning up and stuff (unless I actually touch him). Most of the time he hangs out under the half-log on the cool side, but at night he climbs the vines, bathes often in the pool of water at the center, drapes across the top of the log, and occassionally hangs out on the warm side (after his meal and a few other times).

Even though the air temp 2 inches above the carpet on the warm side of the cage is about 85 degrees F, yesterday I put a probe thermometer into the cave of that hide rock on the right and learned that the carpet space and air trapped under that rock has a temp of 102 degrees F!! So, I need to get in there quick and find a way to diffuse the heat coming from the heat pad under the glass, cuz that's too hot!

So, I recommend that you get one of those digital thermometers with a probe on the end of a cord and check the micro-climates within your viv.

ziggy_viv2.jpg

-Chris
http://www.employees.org/~cdelgran/ziggy.htm

Back