• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Small quick question about digestion?

how long after my snake eats should the food "bump/bulge" be gone from his stomach, its been 48 hours since i fed him and its 2/3 of the way gone, i feed him fuzzys (ive feed him twice, without a problem on them) and he weighs about 25g, although that weight was taken today with food still in his belly so its not 100% accurate.

How long do you guys notice it takes till the bump is basically/completely gone after eating?

It takes around 72 hours to digest a meal, so within 3 days the bump should be gone, and if it isnt then you should drop down to pinkys until your snake gets a little bigger. Feeding food to big can cause regurgitation. hope this helps!

Tink

a 25g snake is a little small for fuzzies. I'd be feeding double pinks or small peach fuzzies. I guess I go to fuzzies when the snake is about 30 grams. 72 hours is quite a long time for the bulge to still be visible. With my snakes it's gone in 24-48 hours at the most.

if he doesnt regurg is it still bad to feed fuzzies? what are the health risks other then regurg? he hasnt regurged for me once and ive feed him 2 fuzzies so far, 4 days apart. although im going to space it out more cause i realized i was power feeding

if he doesnt regurg is it still bad to feed fuzzies? what are the health risks other then regurg? he hasnt regurged for me once and ive feed him 2 fuzzies so far, 4 days apart. although im going to space it out more cause i realized i was power feeding

The other risk is DEATH!.........when tiny snakes regurgitate, it can EASILY start a "domino effect" of very serious complications unless the individual knows exactly how to correct it. The very LAST thing you want to do is to even think of feeding it soon afterwards. Their stomachs MUST be allowed enough time to replenish the acids, electrolytes, enzymes and proper gut flora(good bacteria) for digesting their meals. This takes several days after the regurge to establish(7 to 10 or so days). They also need enough warmth to thermoregulate their metabolism to properly digest the prey as well. a decent temp would be low to mid 80's on one side of the enclosure ONLY, and say a normal ambient room temp of mid 70's on the cool end.

Tight dark hides, proper warmth temps at one end, no handling until at least 3 days after feeding are all extremely important for the snakes well-being.

Two slightly smaller prey items are more easily digested, but if you feed it one larger item that is approx. 1.5 times the diameter of the snake at mid-body, and it doesn't have to really struggle too much to get it down and it has proper warmth, all should go well too. If the snake can easily gobble the rodent's down without disarticulating it's jaws much, then the prey items are too small and should be fed two at a time. Otherwise moving up the prey size proportionately is always a good thing.

~Doug

Back