• Hello!

Either you have not registered on this site yet, or you are registered but have not logged in. In either case, you will not be able to use the full functionality of this site until you have registered, and then logged in after your registration has been approved.

Registration is FREE, so please register so you can participate instead of remaining a lurker....

Please be certain that the location field is correctly filled out when you register. All registrations that appear to be bogus will be rejected. Which means that if your location field does NOT match the actual location of your registration IP address, then your registration will be rejected.

Sorry about the strictness of this requirement, but it is necessary to block spammers and scammers at the door as much as possible.

Snake Birthdays

Sharkmatt

Hi Guys,

Could anyone help me with ageing my snake? What age can you sex a snake at, as mine hasn't been sexed yet. It's about 12-14 inches long and bout 60-70mm thick at the widest point. Anybody got any ideas? Did the girl get it wrong? Personally i reckon he/she is bout 2-3 months. Would that be a decent guess? I've included a pic but it's probably not much help. No scale in it.

Thanks Matt.

Attachments

• archie2.JPG
    archie2.JPG
    190.9 KB · Views: 65
Sorry forgot to say, the girl in the petshop said it was 6 months old but i think it's younger cos it's still on pinkies and i read by 6 months it should be movin to fuzzys.

Feeding doesnt go by age, it goes by how thick the snake is at te widest point.

S/he looks like she could easily down a fuzzzie... maybe try her on one next time you feed, see how s/he takes to it.

12-14" would make it around a few months old. I think my 4 month old babies were around that. They grow at different rates, and the petstores are notoriously lax in feeding regularly so it could be 6 months. Babies are usually popped when sexed at a young age, but you can have it probed anytime.

I second Meg's guess of 6 months old. Depending on the pet shop you got it from, it may have only been fed every two weeks or even once a month. This is just enough to keep the snake alive, but not enough for it to grow.

Also, not all snakes should be on fuzzies by 6 months. It depends on genetics, and on how often it was fed. Plus, some are just slow growers. I just got my 7 month old Amel switched to fuzzies, and my 8 month old bloodred is no where near ready for fuzzies. She's got other issues, though.

The best way to sex you corns is to bring it to a vet and have them "probe" it. Probbing is the best to sex it because a lot of other methods are false.

MikeSaw23 said:
The best way to sex you corns is to bring it to a vet and have them "probe" it. Probbing is the best to sex it because a lot of other methods are false.
Probing errors can occur too, though. The BEST way to determine gender is:

1. Observe it everting a hemipenis during a breeding encounter.
2. Observe it laying eggs.

;)

Roy Munson said:
Probing errors can occur too, though. The BEST way to determine gender is:

1. Observe it everting a hemipenis during a breeding encounter.
2. Observe it laying eggs.

;)
Agreed :cheers:

Individual snakes grow at differint rates. I got Felix in Jan and he only weighs 12g (was 9g when I got him. He had regurge problems) and is eating pinkies. I got Nagini in Dec and he's much bigger (27g last time I checked but that was two months ago :sidestep: . *reminds self to weigh Nagini*) and eating fuzzies.

Back